National 12 - find out more...

Next Summer

Started by Antony (Guest), 04 Dec 2008, 05:03

« previous - next »

Antony (Guest)

It is time to start looking forward to 2009
In a fit of organisation driven by a desire to think of something other than a cold winter with little sailng (and the necessary committment from our babysitting team)... I have booked accomodation at both Burton Wk and North-West Norfolk Week.  My advice would be that if you know you are going to either of these it is best to start looking for places to stay soon, for differing reasons both are going to be slightly tricky places to find accomodation nearer the time:
Burton Wk:  Talking to the B&B owner the air display usually results in a pretty busy weekend for their business in Southend.
NWNW:  Brancaster Staithe, which is where more 12 sailors seem to choose to live as it is central and has decent pubs, is not a big place and is popular with the London crowd.  In any case we wanted two connected cottages and so options were always going to be limited.
If you want any tips from my research the drop me an email.
Antony

Jane Wade

Accommodation booked at NWNW - in Brancaster Staithe.  Accommodation reserved in my helm's house for Burton Weekend.  Sorted!
Jane

Adele (Guest)

I'm currently looking into accommodation for NWNW. Having never sailed at it, I'm a little clueless as to where I should be looking to book! Is it Brancaster Staithe that most 12's stay?
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Adele

Roly Mo

Racing ranges from Kings Lynn to Blakeney, which are the furthest extremities.   We've always liked being in Brancaster or Brancaster Staithe because they are sort of in the middle, but you do pay a premium for accommodation on the coast and going inland a few miles - eg to Docking - may save you money on house rental.  Brancaster Staithe has the advantage of two good pubs and some shops (Spar, and the wonderful Fish Shed).   Burnham Overy is wonderful but apart from the chandlers and the pub there is nothing else there so you are forced into driving somewhere for the last minute pint of milk etc.
Top tip - order your groceries on line from Tesco and get them delivered to your holiday cottage!

jon711

I'm also looking at accomodation for NWNW but I generally prefer Burnham Market - maybe a bit more expensive but it is Chelsea in the country!?!  If any one wants to go in with me on accomodation let me know ( I may have found one!!!!). 
One word of warning most lets seem to be Friday to Friday.  This does leave you with a problem for the last event at Snetisham.  If possible try to get a Saturday to Saturday let....

Jon Thompson

Adele (Guest)

Adele,
The basic answer is as Jenny posted, that they are the two most geographically central to the week.  I guess the other way i look at it is that the only time i do not want to drive is to get back from a decent pub, and there are two in Brancaster Staithe that there are likely to be 12 sailors at on many nights that week!  At work i have several sites/links that seemed to offer cottages etc that were in the right place, i will email them or post them on here if i remember tomorrow.

Antony

Roly Mo

http://www.brancasterstaithe.co.uk/
http://www.sowerbysholidaycottages.co.uk/
http://www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/
http://www.holiday-cottage-norfolk.co.uk/properties.htm
will get you started . . . .
For those who camp there's a great site at Burnham Deepdale.  It doesn't accept caravans, but will take small motorhomes (VW camper size) and if you want a real adventure you can hire a Tipi!  Caravan sites a bit limited - we like Sandringham (Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan sites there) and ICM rates Pinewoods at Wells.
Mrs RM

gerry ledger

Try putting in Glaven Valley, they have a good selection of properties to let at a good range of prices in Brancaster Staithe.

tonyelgar

Is anyone else looking into camping for burton wk? It seems there isn't alot of scope for doing this nearby and i wondered if anyone had more success looking than me!

cheers!
tony
ex 2760/3255

sam293

id heard we were allowed to camp in the field next to the tbyc boat park?

tonyelgar

I hadn't heard but would be excellent if it is the case...
ex 2760/3255

sam293

i hope so as camping is my only option as b and b ing will cost a fortune

tonyelgar

I'm in the same boat, if u ll forgive the pun! If there are a few of us tho and we can only camp a bit further out we could organise shared transport i guess...
ex 2760/3255

Adele (Guest)

Thanks for all your help!
Does anyone have an email address for Antony? And/or, has anyone booked somewhere that they have space (floor is fine!) for myself and Andy Douglas before we try and book somewhere and start to look for people to help fill it?
Adele Cameron

sam293

likewise if anyone has any more space or floor, for me for bw or nwnw and salcombe bank hols, please get in contact
adele to email antony just click the "email" icon under his posts
and if you do decide to book a place, any chance i could fill in one of the placeS?
cheers
sam

n12 Bottom Banner