National 12 - find out more...

and while we're on the subject of Burton Week

Started by thedodger, 08 Oct 2008, 10:47

« previous - next »

thedodger

OK boys and girls, that's Burton Week sorted, we'll get the numbers you all want and put a tick in that box.
Next mission, well it's time to get off the circuit, get back into your local sailing club to spread the word. The more we get boats regularly sailing back at local clubs, the more recruits we'll get back into the class.
Over the past few summers we have gradually got more 12's on the water and raised the class profile at Spinnaker. We have managed to get all the boats together in the boat park and the banter is making those poor old single handers rather jealous.  Last count we have 12 12's and the word is we have more planning to join in.
From a solitary David Wilkins to a growing fleet... which reminds me, what is this nonsense I hear about Mr Wilkins selling his boat!

Kevin

Quote from: 495Next mission, well it's time to get off the circuit, get back into your local sailing club to spread the word. The more we get boats regularly sailing back at local clubs, the more recruits we'll get back into the class. 

As the primary go between of club and class for Burton Week next year I would like to say that I find these comments to be something I completely agree with. (N.B. Must ask Meds how "Would you ask your club about hosting BW?" evolved into the current job!)

Forget about focusing on families, students, couples, lightweights or any other subgroup, this type of initiative never seems to yield long term results. We need to get whoever we can persuade, regardless of race, age, sex, weight (or religion!), into the boats and sailing them regularly. Sure, not all of them will stay but the broader the range of people we reach out and appeal to, the healthier the class will become.

Kevin

Atheist (Guest)

I wouldn’t focus on religion, many religions seem to suggest that sailing is not where you should be on Sunday.

Jimbo41

Quote from: Atheist (Guest)I wouldn’t focus on religion, many religions seem to suggest that sailing is not where you should be on Sunday.

Why not Friday / Saturday as well? This is a pointless and preposterous comment, designed to provoke. Well done! Objective achieved! Now, fast forward please...:-/
Jim  (keep religion out of sailing)

JohnMurrell

Next mission, well it's time to get off the circuit, get back into your local sailing club to spread the word. The more we get boats regularly sailing back at local clubs, the more recruits we'll get back into the class.

Couldn't agree more! The Salcombe fleet very rarely leaves its beach for waters foreign, the logistics are enormous. So the fleet stays at home, honing its skills and growing. We have 7 boats racing almost every week, one more is arriving this weekend and at least two people are actively looking for suitably priced boats. All because the club members and specifically the Cadet section see the Twelve as a fun boat and something they aspire to sail and club race in.

thedodger

Quote from: Atheist (Guest)I wouldn’t focus on religion, many religions seem to suggest that sailing is not where you should be on Sunday.

There is always time for both church and sailing, especially if your not travelling far away to a distant meeting!

Phil Brown

Can't agree more

A little while ago, Antony suggested I or Simon wrote an article about Spinnaker's growth. I thought, yes, I can do that, until I sat down and thought about it, because I'm not sure what I could write.

To briefly use the religious terminology, at Spinnaker, we're a very broad church. We have some good guys who have been in the class for yonks, newcomers to sailing even, dad's sailing with sons or daughters, I sail with my wife (risking domestic harmony),  sailors young (crucially, we have some keen young sailors) and old . We've V AC and DBs, we now have Ian building one (watch THAT space, that will be quality), we have an RYA coach who will stand on his feet all day and talk about sailing if you let him, quiet guys and noisy ones.

If we have anything that might contribute to success, if that is what we have, it's enthusiasm, dare I say it passion, and visibility within the club, because, as John descibes Salcombe, when we sail, it's at the club and we are perceived as a fun boat with guys and gals having a fun time.

So, Kevin, absolutely, as many people as possible from as wide an audience as possible.

John, absolutely, club sailing, it's the base of any class

and Dodger, just so, spread the word
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

n12 Bottom Banner