National 12 - find out more...

Double bottoms and slot gaskets

Started by Chris Troth, 17 Mar 2009, 09:18

« previous - next »

Chris Troth

I took 3412 out for a play in the wind today, and when she picks up speed, water gushes in through the centre board slot. Is this normal for double bottom boats or is there something wrong with my slot gasket?
Chris

sam293

you will probably find your slot gasket is damaged or non existant!

Chris Troth

I guess I'll roll her over tomorrow and see whats going on
Chris

sam293

im sure someone with more wisdom than me will be able to tell you exactly how to fix it,

Crusader 3244

<h2>"I guess I'll roll her over tomorrow and see whats going on"</h2>
Foxi!   - Ooohh, errr , Missus!  
Surely a medical student like yourself could have expressed that with a little more dignity and eloquence!
Is there course content in med school pertaining to bed-side manner?    Really, you must work on yours!

Honestly, your remark reads like smut.........and almost as smutty as the person who said,
"There is nothing better than enthusiastic 12 owners getting the covers off, being seen to be having
a fun time, and infecting others with their enthusiasm"

Well, peeking out through the curtains this morning, I was minded to to return staight back under the covers and kept them on, but I did at least comply with the other two requirements! :)
Chris, 3244

sticky (Guest)

Search back through this forum.  It’s been covered at length, let us know if you can’t find it and we can type it all in again.

Crusader 3244

Hi foxi,
Two came up and have 'pinged' them up the posts.
- Chris
Chris, 3244

lucy horsley

Hiya, just to let you know Dad and I used to own 3412.  The boat was refurbished a few years ago by Dare Barry and ever since then there has been the slight issue of water coming up through the centre board slot when going fast.  Dad informs me that this is due to the back of the centre board not being quite the same after refurb, I'm sure I could get more tecnical details if required. 
Lucy

Chris Troth

Hi. Thanks - I'm going to fit a new gasket and see what happens!
Chris

matt (Guest)

for what its worth water gushed out of hte centreboard case on 3486 until I got the slot gasket attached properly. problem disappeared overnight. 
Matt

Chris Troth

When using mylar strips, is it best to use one strip and cut down the centre, or use two strips and overlap them slightly?
Chris

Chris Troth

I've had a look underneath and the current slot gasket is a single piece of mylar with a cut down the middle, held onto the hull with brown parcel tape.
Will change it very soon
Chris

sam childs (Guest)

ahhh oh dear that would probably explain the problem, but if it was duck tape all would be well!!!!

John Meadowcroft

Hold on!!!!!!!!!!!!
The brown parcel tape can be very useful.
Whether you overlap the gasket or not is a matter of personal choice.  stick the gasket to the hull using a contact adhesive.  you can get this from B&Q.
We finish off the job with parcel tape.  It does not stick the gasket to the hull but what it does do is seal the side of the gasket that is not supposed to open to the hull.  This can get damaged - particularly by the trolly cradle when launching or recovering.  We let the tape get damaged (a small job) rather than the gasket itself (a bigger job).
For the record - our latest gasket is an overlapped style.  I am sure if you search this forum you can find our method of doing it somewhere.
John

tonyelgar

i ve just replaced my slot gasket and used contact glue, tapering the fore and aft ends of the gasket to reduce the risk of it peeling. it isn't overlapped but it is one peice with the centre trimmed along so it meets flush. I have yet to roll the boat back but will probably do the parcel tape thing, is it trimmed to look neat or do you use the whole width of the tape? It is rather large and my boat does still have a keel so wouldn't be as neat a job. Could i use electrical tape or duck tape as it is easier to trim?
Also worth noting is that my contact adheisive suggested not to apply any pressure or force for 24 (or was it 12?) hours, so maybe times when the glue alone has failed this may not have been followed?
My last gasket replacement was on grimalkin and that was put on with rails screwed back on, so this looks neater but is a bit of an experiment for me.

tony
ex 2760/3255

n12 Bottom Banner