National 12 - find out more...

N2521 Mumble

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 19 Mar 2007, 04:54

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2521 Mumble. Design: Mumble (4 plank), designed by: Paul Trevan in 1971

DavidW

Mumble was Paul Trevan's modification of the Whisper design  - I first came across her when she was in the ownership of Paul's great friend Roger Cherrill with my then unknown wife to be, Frances, in the front end!
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

jeki3111

picture from 23rd January 1983 being sailed by Barry Robinson at bough beech

jeki3111

forgot to say - pic was taken by Mike Gibbons

Paul Trevan

David is kind enough to indicate that she was my deliberate adaption of Phil's Whisper design. Regrettably, I can't claim this honour - when Dick H and I lifted her off the mould we didn't put stretchers across her for a few days and she "setlled". On measuring her it was obvious that she wasn't a Whisper so she acquired the name Mumble. Did OK at times - Roger Cherrill won the Secretary's Cup at QMSC in the late seventies.

Paul Trevan

When first built, Mumble was open-decked, sported a centre mainsheet and had a mind of her own (subsequently cured by Roger Cherrill using a much larger rudder). But it made for some interesting sailing - in a blow at sea, you had to sit back to stop her swamping upwind and you had to sit forward to stop her corkscrewing downwind. What's more, tacking was a bit iffy - I remember sitting luffed and stationary with no control on the start line at Brancaster, and only managing to get away once she started moving backwards. Mind you, we won the race - everyone else  must have fallen in.

n12 Bottom Banner