National 12 - find out more...

Grit in centreboard case

Started by tomematthews, 25 Aug 2009, 04:56

« previous - next »

tomematthews

Hey guys,
I appear to have a bit of a problem over here on the Isles of Scilly....every time I come into the beach, sand and grit gets up inside the centreboard casing, jamming the board next time I go out. The past two times this has happened, the only way to free the board has been to get the boat up on its trolly and take the centreboard right out...bit of a pain! Thought somebody else may have had the same problem before, so would appreciate any wisdom you guys can offer! Obviously, I'm trying my hardest not to let the hull touch the sand before I get the boat on the trolley but sometimes it's inevitable!
Thanks!

sandy arse (Guest)

Grit in the case is a common problem and a right pain, completely jamming the board is quite unusual.  It also makes a right mess of the board as well, couple of ideas;

-Is the slot gasket in good knick, that could be letting larger stones in that cause the jam?
-Do you give the case a good hosing when you get ashore?
-Don’t let the boat sit on the sand, there really is no reason for it to do so.  Try to keep the boat in deeper water, especially if breaking waves are stirring up the bottom.

MikeDay

Obviously, you have to try hard to keep boat and sand away from each other make sure your slot gasket is in good nick.  If you get grit in the case, the only way is to wash it out thoroughly with fresh water.  The best lubricant to use is generous quantities of ordinary washing up liquid (ecover would be greener).  Obviously it dissolves away pretty quickly but you avoid the stickiness problems of all oil-based lubricants.  I keep a bottle to hand whenever I'm sailing on salt water and always squirt some down the case before going out.

Mike D
N3496

tomematthews

Hey guys,
Just rediscovered your posts - thank you so much for your replies!

n12 Bottom Banner