National 12 - find out more...

Has anyone got any information on 2905 Subversion

Started by chopper, 14 Nov 2012, 03:29

« previous - next »

chopper

Hi all just started working on subversion has anyone got any interesting info on her.

darebarry

chopper

joker (Guest)

if you have got a workshop and a sharp plane!

chopper

I have no problem in principle to removing it just wondering if boat will fall apart if i do lol. its in my garage upside down at moment and the keels are crying out to be removed guess side ones no prob just the main one, think it will look much nicer smooth with nice small dagger slot.

David (Guest)

Way back in the late seventies there was a Newsletter artlicle about her, I think that she was the boat Jo built in some cricket nets.  Mike Day must have been the editor then, maybe he could find the article.

simon (Guest)

Chopper, you could remove the keel in an ideal world, assuming that the garboard planks remain well bonded to the hog. Your problem will come if you suddenly find that 30 year old cascamite or whatever it was built with has seen better days and the keel/hog 'sandwich' was all that was holding it together. You could get round this to some extent by epoxy filleting the garboards to the hog on the inside, and/or by putting some biaxial glass tape or something similar over the joint externally and fairing once the keel is off. However if it was me, I would just leave the keel alone and get on with life. Also, don't forget that the keel is planted on top of the planking for most of its length, but for the forward 18" or so it actually forms part of the hull shape so you will have to think how you are going to blend it all together so you don't end up with a funny flat area at the forefoot.

n12 Bottom Banner