National 12 - find out more...

N1380 Sally

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 16 Mar 2007, 01:32

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1380 Sally. Design: Mark 6, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1955
Original boat name: Bubbles II.

edwillett

Appeared on ebay march 2010 with starting bid of £50. No bids. Sadly looks way to far gone to be a viable restoration. based in Derbyshire.

David Moore

My father Peter Moore, bought this boat off a club member (Ewart James) at Earlswood Lakes Sailing Club in the early 1960s. My father was encouraged in this by his sister Betty Wylie who crewed for her husband, John in N1866 Gooloo. The Wylies also owned N33 Two Horses.
This was the start of our involvement in N12 saling with a great crowd of similarly keen families including the Aldises, Blunts, Wylies and Weirs. I crewed for my father at the 1964 Burton in Torquay. Soon however my father lost out to both myself and my brother Kiff wishing to sail the boat. I was allowed to enter the Burton Week at Thorpe Bay with a young Jim Aldis crewing for me.
As well as regular racing at ELSC and doing some of the Junior Open Meetings around the Midlands circuit, there were other "favourite" events that we entered. The first of these was an annual pilgrimage to Salcombe for the racing fortnight. The second was the Avon Sailing Club Open Meeting. The most popular part of this was the Saturday afternoon inter club Team racing. This was great fun and was the first contact with a certain "Richards" family who although they lived in Birmingham sailed at Avon Sailing Club. Yes it included the famous "Joe" from this family.
My father sold Sally within the club when we movefd up to a Proctor Mark 8, N1819, Sardana I believe in 1966. My brother and I certainly sailed 1819 at the Weymouth Burton in 1967.
So sad to see an old boat like Sally fall into such disrepair. Hopefully with the increasing popularity of the Vintage Fleet this waste may reduce in the future?   

n12 Bottom Banner