National 12 - find out more...

N2355 Aeolus II

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 03 Jul 2007, 08:59

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2355 Aeolus II.   Design: Sparklet, designed by: Leslie Landamore in 1962

ken goddard

N.2355 "Aeolus II". The image attached shows this boat heading out of Torquay harbour to participate in a race for National 12's at the 1967 Royal Torbay Yacht Club Regatta. This boat was owned by D.C.Wield who I think was a local helmsman but with a connection with one of the Thames Clubs.
Ken Goddard

Mike Bridgwater

I have just bought "Aeolus 2"no 2355. She is now in Watchet, Somerset awaiting renovation. The hull, mast and boom are in remarkably good shape having been kept in a garage for many years. However, the (wooden) mast has no fittings or rigging, and the rudder is missing. Sails are dreadful!

edwillett

For sale on ebay August 2014. Located in Somerset. The ad reads as follows :
I bought this boat a few years ago from the sister of the original owner.It had been used a few times and then stored in a garage for some 40 years! Unfortunately, most of the bits were missing such as the mast, sails, etc. I have spent a lot of time tracking down a mast, some good sails, a launching trolley, a cover, and various fittings. The boat was found in good condition, and only needed revarnishing. She has just had some fresh coats of varnish and is in very good order and ready to go sailing.

Quin

Finally managed to make my maiden voyage in Aeolus II at Wimbleball SC on Wednesday 5th August. It was a very gusty day, so glad to have remained upright and dry.  We first went out 3-men-in-a-boat (nephew Jack and cousin's partner John), but this was a little crowded, although the extra weight did help with the erratic wind.  Then went out 2-up and this was a little more lively, as the boat proved to be quite responsive and needed constant adjustment, so no leisurely crusing.  It was a great first outing and helped by having a large contingency of family on the shore.

n12 Bottom Banner