National 12 - find out more...

Sheathing a foil

Started by n12grad, 24 Apr 2008, 08:42

« previous - next »

n12grad

There is some play between my centreboard and centreboard case I’m considering options as to how to correct this. I apologise if its been asked before, but nothing came up when I tried the search option.

The simplest would be to glue a thin Formica sheet on each of the cheeks, but I was also considering sheathing the whole foil. This would pad the width out and give me a stiffer foil. But is it worth the bother?

I seem to recall SP systems producing a users guide to doing this and wondered whether anyone has a copy they could email to me. If my memory is playing tricks on this, does anyone know if a step-by-step guide exists elsewhere? I also wondered whether anyone has personal experience in doing this and could perhaps outline the practicalities and pitfalls of the process.

MikeDay

There are others more technical than me out there, but I'd definitely go for the easy option of using thin formica pads or something similar.  You might even get away with gluing a mylar film on each side of the board where it sits in the case.  You'll get the most performance lift from simply having a board that doesn't wobble.  If you sheathe it and make it too thick, it'll be pretty hard to remedy.

Mike D
N3496

scotyot (Guest)

I support what Mike says above - you could have a major problem should you find you needed to remove the 'sheathing'. Thin 'Formica' or you could try the modern 'hi-tec' method of epoxying a CD either side lining up the holes, of course. This method could fairly make your board sing on a screaming reach and gives a whole new meaning to boat tuning!!

n12 Bottom Banner