National 12 - find out more...

Sail Number Removal

Started by Crusader 3244, 03 Sep 2008, 08:20

« previous - next »

Crusader 3244

Does anyone have any comments regarding sail number removal from modern laminated sails?  Would some cautiously applied heat from a hairdryer help? Can they simply be peeled or must solvents be used? is there a risk of delamination?
Chris, 3244

JohnMurrell

I have always just peeled the old numbers off and stuck the new ones on - no problems and no residue of the old adhesive either.............. 
Just remember when sticking the new numbers on that they must be sized and spaced correctly!!!!

Gareth (Guest)

Definitely no heat, carefully peel the old numbers off as John said.  If you do have some sticky residue left silicone lube helps loosen it off the sail (holt pro lube or Halfords generic silicone lube is much cheaper)
Disclaimer: This is a method I have used, but make no further claims on its effectiveness or safety!
Gareth
Bicycle Clips N3162

johnk

If the number will not peel off easily, the safest solvent to use is Methylated Spirits or Isopropanol if you can access laboratory supplies. Neither of these should attack sails but mind glued seams to be ultra safe.

Dave.blakesley

i was wondering about this myself and so did some googling and found some results that may be useful at: http://www.laserforum.org/removing-sail-numbers-t1786.html which has a few different methods... Dave

GregPitt

As a sailmaker I would say that I have never seen solvents damage laminate sails. Asetone is the best, or nail varnish remover!!! New numbers should be spaced by 70mm. Hope this helps.

Crusader 3244

Thanks guys, your advice is appreciated and all is food for thought.

Gareth, I'm new to 'twelves' but I've read a couple of your posts and there's something familiar about your sail number...
Oh, yeah!    ..... It's the old number I need to remove from the best of three mains supplied with the boat!  I couldn't attend events masqerading as you could I? Especially as we appear to be in the same region.
My last visit to L&LSC was circa 1989 for the BUSA  Team Race Champs and it was WILD! M.U. who were hosting that champs had Larks then. Commitee couldn't set a line due to it drifting in the gale and my crew showed early stages of hyperthermia!
Replacement sale numbers are on order. As a mark of respect I intend to keep your old 'three'..............
Chris, 3244

Crusader 3244

Thanks all, my concerns about the laminate were unfdounded; simply peeling cold with fingers worked fine and the numbers came off cleanly leaving little goo.  I did try a little warmth which seemed to soften the glue but then it also seemed to result in more residue on the sail. It was even possible to re-apply  one of the old numbers.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner