National 12 - find out more...

vintage kicking strap

Started by gary.h, 05 Apr 2008, 07:22

« previous - next »

gary.h

Hi there. Can anyone help? Im trying to sort out a kicking strap to fit my smuggler class 12.

But cant seem to find a suitable anchor point in the bilges. At the moment I have the key in the lower part of the boom thats ok. a nylon cord attatched to the base of the mast  runs up to a pulley anchored to this key  this then runs to a second pulley fastened to the base  of the mast again up via a fairlead and on to the boom to a jam cleat.
The system works on the trolley but will it prove to be safe & or effective on the water?
Having graduated from a really (really) old mirror which seemed to sail exactly the same however it was rigged i.e. slowly, I feel somewhat aprehensive with the amount of energy felt through the mainsheet.
:-/
Thanks gary.h

grazz

Hi Gary,

I'm no vintage expert but the following might help.

It's fine to attach the base of the kicker to base of the mast (this is how we have it in our modern 12). From your description it sounds like you have a 4:1 or 3:1 purchase which is only adjustable from inside the cockpit. On our 12 we have 16:1 purchase which is cleated on the thwart so is adjustable whilst sat on the side (very handy for adjusting upwind and downwind for that matter).  The sails on your vintage are a lot more powerful than a mirror so well worth adding more purchases, you could try 8:1 first.  Are you able to add some pulleysto route the ropes so it is adjustable from the side? Also Make sure you use kevlar or spectra non stretch rope.

Let us know how your sail goes?

PS where about do you sail

Happy sailing

Graham

Derek

As Graham says, 8:1 is really a minimum to be able to adjust your leech tension and so get the best out of your rig.
Boats of this vintage often had a winch screwed to the hog with a simple wire from the winch to the boom and a single cleat on the front of the plate case.
I do not know if anyone still makes the winches, (the one on my China Doll was Holt) and I wouldn't bother looking too hard unless you are determined to go for the vintage authenticity. A simple 8 or 16:1 cascade with dyneema rope attached to the mast foot will be fine and make a big difference to the boat's performance.
Have fun with it!
Derek

Chadders

Hi
I have 2 vintage 12s and sailed them for circa 53 years hence I have seen and used most types of kicker starting with 2-1 on a toggle and then 2-1 with a real v jamming cleat and block.
I agree with all of the above 8-1 is a minimum and I use 16-1 cascade in Dyneema on my 43 year old 12 led back to the thwart at each side which works well but does neen a few blocks so costs a few quid to do.   Attachment on the mast works well just make sure the kicker clears the centre plate handle and or tackle if you still have a metal plate. 
For the smuggler era she would have had a kicker winch fastened probably to the mast, if you want to be authentic I have a couple in my spares box but I think they are only 8-1 and the wire tends not to last all that long from memory.  Difficult to twin to each side as well but easy to double up to 16-1  Let me know if you want a winch (its in Yorkshire but can be picked up from almost any vintage series event)
Howard C aka Chadders
N2, N2266 and N3356

gary.h

Hello Howard.
Thanks for the reply. Im not quite sure about all the terminology here, Ive' only been sailing for a couple of years. What Im' aiming for is a set -up which can be operated by either crew or helm and ought to be crew friendly, having been thwacked, bashed scraped and almost strangled so far.
I would like to keep the system simple though. The mast that came with the boat had this wheel arrangement but it kept coming undone. Also the mast was not tapered and had the flexibility of a telegraph pole.
I tried  sailing with the set-up Sunday last but Im' at a loss as to wether it worked sufficiently or not as the boat was rigged all wonky. I did notice however that my fellow club members that day (ent sailors) down at yosc were very helpful but kept a keen eye on our progress when we began to make headway.
Well' catch em yet!
gary.h.

gary.h

Hi Graham .
I sail at Yorkshire Ouse Naburn . Apparently quite an awkward venue.
Many times the burgee spins like a rotor atop the mast.
At least now I have a bit more sail area , which should please the rescue crew.
Ithink being able to work the kicker from the gunwhales is sound advice.
Thanks !
gary.h.

Roly Mo

My Sparklet has a wheel system, and whilst I was initially not keen (too many negative experiences with wheels in Enterprises!) it does work well but the critical thing is getting enough turns on the wheel to allow you to pull the kicker on effectively.  It's generally a job which is best achieved with helm and crew working on it.  I've actually gone one further and put a wheel on for the jib tension too.  Multi purchase systems are much easier to use and to install.

If you come along to the training at Ripon on Saturday 26 April I'll happily look at the set up with you, and it would also give you a chance to try the boat on open water and away from the vagaries of currents and willows!

RM

Chadders

Just to back up Bernard!  If you can make the training at Ripon it will help a lot and you will get all the advice you need.  Unfortunately I cant make it due to a vintage event at Frampton but I know that they will look after you.
If you dont make it give me a call and I can meet up with you since Knaresborough is not too far from York and I am happy to help out as is everyone else as you will have noticed by now.
Howard C aka Chadders8)

SEASCOUTER (Guest)

If you have some photoes of your smuggler we would love to see them as we are trying to identify the design of our national 12 N2008

n12 Bottom Banner