National 12 - find out more...

Burton Week 2009

Started by thedodger, 08 Sep 2008, 11:07

« previous - next »

thedodger

Having heard about the plans for next years Burton Week, the consensus at Spinnaker is that 6+ of our boats (haven't asked David Wilkins or Steve Adshead yet) are up for the Nationals if they are held on the Spring bank holiday weekend at a South Coast venue. What do the rest of you think? For example, there is some great sailing to be had on the Isle of Wight!
As we are likely to have 15 boats at our club next season, perhaps someone might think we are doing something right and listen to us when we ask for a Gill event at Spinnaker.
Spinnaker only had James Anderson at the Nationals this year, that says a lot about the preference for club sailing and the need for the class to get back in the clubs and propogate the next generation of 12 sailors.
By being seen on our club water all the time, always with family and other youngsters, we have a core of youngsters gettiing really enthusiastic about 12 sailing. Is that happening at your club when your never there?
Answers please...
Simon W
3454 Jammy Dodger

Derek

Doubtless someone more qualified will confirm, but my understanding was that the venue was likely to be Thorpe Bay. I am sure it will suit many people but suspect I may not manage it myself next year.
regards
Derek  3510

Jeremy C

Isn't Alex  bale from Spinnaker? He was at Burton week with his son Josh.
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

mutt

Personnally I'd quite like a nationals at swanage. bournemouth bay would make a great sailing area and purbeck peninsula is a lovely place for a weeks holiday. The solent is probably a bit too busy over the summer - I don't really fancy giving water to 1/4 tonners all day.
Matt
N3486

Dave Croft

The Cadets had their champs this year at Torquay. I was very impressed with the venue, the excellent club and high quality of race management. Lots to do for non-sailing memebrs of the family too.

Jane Wade

We went to Torquay in 2000 and it was a good venue.  It was a shame that someone anchored a 300 ft ship in the middle of the race course, that Sue Pelling's boat somehow launched itself off the harbour wall and that it rained all week...
I am confident that the Committee have spent a LOT of time and energy in trying to find the right time and venue for 2009 and I am sure when it is revealed we will all do our utmost to support them by turning up with all of our friends.
Jane
Crew 3512

Antony (Guest)

Simon,
Have you, Phil, others at the club thought about writing a piece for the website or the Newsletter that describes the work that has been done and what has worked in the building of the fleet at Spinnaker?  I think that other people at clubs with one or two boats would find it really interesting, and knowing that others have tried it and made it work might encorage them to put some effort in to building their fleet in 2009.  Two of the other fleets that seem to remain pretty active, Up River & Salcombe, seem to share some but by no means all of the attributes of your fleet.
Antony

icecreamman

I know that this may have already been thought of by other people already; but has anyone thought of having Burton Week or the Burton Long Weekend at Hunstanton. Hunstanton has shown via the Gill Meeting this year and ongoing through the past fifty nine years with Norfolk Week that it is a venue worth pursuing. I am sure that if Hunstanton was considered it would encourage some more folk from further north to attend which would help us to increase numbers of entries.
8)

Jane Wade

I believe that a firm decision has been made and that an announcement is imminent so any more speculation may well be in vain.
I am VERY excited and hope that their will be lots of Burton Virgins who are converted for when we go to Weymouth for a whole week in 2010.
Jane
Crew 3512

Derek

Count me in for a week at Weymouth - that will require some preparation. Good job there is some time for it.
Derek 3510

paul turner

So when are we actually going to hear about where the 2009 Burton is to be held? Still "imminent"? :X
PS I am with icecreamman on this! Four days at Hunstanton Thursday 30th July to Sunday 3rd August 2009 as part of their 60th anniversary would be FAB and would show support for a very pro/N12 organisation, with the option to stay on and sail the NWNW?!

Dare Barry (Guest)

At this years AGM the committee was not in a position to give dates and place of the next Burton Cup venue as per normal. Following the AGM the committee changed and I felt necessary that the new committee be consulted. We have a committee meeting on the 27th. of September after which details will be sent out for 2009 and also the proposed venue for 2010.

thedodger

We are all waiting to hear what the great and good of the class have to say about Burton Week 2009. Have you taken our suggestions seriously? No-one at Spinnaker seems terribly keen on Thorpe Bay. The meeting is over by now (unless it is like the management committee meetings at Spinnaker where the norm is two days and nights average) so can we have a date and venue please.
Simon W

n12 Bottom Banner