National 12 - find out more...

design 8 gelcoat repair

Started by simon ballantine, 20 Aug 2006, 02:21

« previous - next »

simon ballantine

I am planning to repair the many gelcoat cracks to my side decks at the end of this season.  My boat is a 1988 Storrar & Bax Design 8 No. 3291, which I think is laid up in epoxy.  Can anyone help me with advice on suitable materials, correct pigment colour or any other tips?

John Murrell (Guest)

Simon,

Give Tom Stewart a call at P&B; but not this week as he is at the Champs! He will have all the details on gelcoat cols etc.

John

RogerBrisley

Jerry G

Same here with 3365.  Star cracking on port side deck but otherwise just chips and scratches.  Plastic padding white works but is a bit too white.

marcus3292

N3292

david w (Guest)

Have a look at either the current or last issue of Dinghy Sailing magazine - very good article.

John Nixon (Guest)

I not only have a D8 (3286) but worked for the resin company that more than likely made the gelcoat (Scott Bader) the gelcoat is a polyester (GC65) which was probably backed up with SP110/210. It worked but we were never sure quite why but only really with 110 and even then it could be a bit tender. Builders are now using a specially formulated gelcoat that is truely compatible with an epoxy back up.
The big problem will always be colour matching. The gelcoat will have darkened (mine was yellow!) so even if you got the original colour chances are it will not match. 3286's deck is  full cracks in the gelcoat and my plan is to strip the lot off and refinish it in 2 pot PU. I did some tempory filling but the boat is presenty named after the dog "Patchwork White Jewel"

marcus3292

my boat was yellow when i got it but i bought a chemical that took all the staining out of the hull (y10 i think), i got to give it a good polish up still but i will use a mop on that. i did a little bit by hand and it does look fresh again.

anyway i rather pay someone to do my side decks and paint llike a none slip sort of paint on the side decks (none gritty), as it has been painted alread in a blue colour
N3292

simon ballantine

Just spoke to P&B.  They have some original Ovington gelcoat available which should match, otherwise they can do a colourmatch kit comprising of clear resin and several different shades of white pigment to mix and match.  Since my side decks need a lot of separate repairs the advice is to repair the gel coat cracks then overcoat the whole deck with a 2-part PU paint (Mediteranian White) applied with a sponge roller, removing air bubbles by lightly brushing with a fine bristled paint brush.
I'll let you know how I get on....

Tom Stewart (Guest)

Guys,
Ovington white gelcoat is mixed up especially for Ovi's and is very hard to replicate so I recommend purchasing the real thing rather than mixing up your own. I suspect 3291 is a polyester boat but am not sure. You can probably tell by the amount of lead the boat carries or Ghris Brown the original owner may remember. Call me on 01604 592808 to discuss or speak to Pete in our workshop.

Tom Stewart (Guest)

sorry Chris Brown ( I have his contact details if needed)

n12 Bottom Banner