National 12 - find out more...

N3171 Token Gesture

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 17 Mar 2007, 09:09

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3171 Token Gesture. Design: Baggy Trousers, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1980

OMSC

Just bought token gesture, rescuing it from a dead boat park where it would not have survived another winter.
the only thing missing is large chunks of the cover and a lot of varnish gone, presently stripping down the rest to see whether rot has set in.
Very different looking boat from the cheshire I normally sail, as it has no foredeack,  a space frame, hatchet centreboard and about 4 times the amount of strings to pull.  not to mention the scary amount of holes drilled all over the ribs for weight saving!
I am hoping to have it on the water within a month.

intheboatshed

Token Gesture now resides at Maidenhead Sailing Club. Will eventually need a lot of work if she is to survive, but in the meantime I think she is useable.

This is my first Natonal 12, so I'm definitely not taking the easy option as a member of Maidenhead, but I think they look a lot prettier than modern plastic racing boats, and I didn't fancy lugging an Albacore around.

Will be sailed by myself and my children. Want to introduce them to the joys of racing now I have managed to get them out sailing. They will also help keep down the combined crew weight, as I'm slighly on the heavy side for a competitve 12.

Have a few photos of her taken by Kevin, the previous owner, last summer I would guess. Will take some more once I get her on the water.

Would be interested to hear a little bit more about her history, if anyone has that information.

icecreamman

If memory serves me correctly Token Gesture was built by Mr Peebles himself. Dave Peacock may have had a hand in it, but not too sure.

George (Guest)

Hi,

I used to own this boat. I always pained me to hear that she hadn´t been well looked after by the next owner :( Suddenly had an urge to see if there of any news and came across this post! Very happy to read it! Not too sure about history I´m afraid but I owned her for 3 years from about 1999. Condition wasn´t too bad when I bought her just superfical damage to varnish and in need of a good clean. I revarnished all the decks and replaced most of the cleets and blocks. The thin carbon jibstick was the invention of Ted Hill from Olton Mere who pioneered them in our small 12 fleet. We rubbed down the hull and added the go faster red stripe to cover a little superficial damage. Non slip paint and pro grip was also a new addition. Came with some really old mylar sails and the suit of kevlar sails pictured.
As I say, so glad to hear she has ended up in  a good home. Many fond memories!
George
ps. Feel free to get in touch, I´d love to hear how things are going.

ken goddard

I attach, hopefully, an image of N.3171, sailed by Graham Camm at Trent Valley in 1997.
Ken Goddard

intheboatshed

Token Gesture was in a worse state than the photos above suggest:

The transom was completely rotten and the stringers down the side of the hull interior had parted company from the hull (poor design), allowing rot to set in underneath. To make matters worse, someone had coated her in epoxy, which was allowed to get damp before curing.

Anyway, decide to try and do some repairs. Replaced the rotten part of the transom, removed the rot from the interior veneer (not very pretty, but I did my best). My most successful repair was replacing the stringers, which now lead forward to the thwart.

That's all the good news unfortunately. I've been too busy since last winter to get her finished. Determined to do it in early spring, just keep procrastinating over what coating to use on the interior. I guess traditional varnish would be the easiest, to apply and maintain, but probably no the most hard wearing.

n12 Bottom Banner