National 12 - find out more...

Measuring Rake On a Baggy

Started by hollandsd, 25 Jun 2012, 12:52

« previous - next »

hollandsd

I have recently purchased Baggy 3210 and was wondering about rig setup.

I have read through the article posted on the site but cannot get the rake measurement accurate with the method described.

Does anyone have any details/reccomendations of rig settings with measurements from the tip of the mast to the transom to see if I am in the right ball park?

Cheers

Dan

Antony (Guest)

Dan,
I was expecting somebody to come along with the 'magic' number - I cannot remember it.  I am also not sure which article you have read, there are a number on how to set up a 12 including the one Dave Peacock wrote years ago about his Baggy.  The tuning guide on the website seems to give numbers measured at the gooseneck blackband for the distance from main halyard (with a weight on it) to the mast.  You obviously need to make sure the boat is level, this usually involves a spirit level on the centreboard case capping although there are more scientific ways to do it.
The magic number i am thinking of is what we all used to aim for if we pulled a long tape to the top of the main halyard and put the other end on the top of the transom.  You will immediately realise that not all transoms are alike and yours is probably lower than most - so you might need to adjust slightly for that.  It all sounds crude but it was a great starting point, i think originally from Ian Pinnell when he was young, and a number of us used it on Crusaders, Design 8s and more recently on Foolishes.
I will get somebody to post the magic number for you.... the above is probably not in itself that helpful!
Antony

n12 Bottom Banner