National 12 - find out more...

Burton Week 2010

Started by thedodger, 05 Jun 2009, 04:19

« previous - next »

thedodger

Here goes, but head above the parapet time.
I am really pleased 80 boats could make it, but that 80 could have been a hell of a lot more if Burton Week had been at a more 'student friendly' time.
None of our Student members (Spinnaker) could get to Burton Week this year as they had exams. For one of our sages to tell them to plan their revision so they could get away was crass. I can assure you Thomas for one couldn't and I know Felix, James and Elli were also not possible.
Next May my crew (daughter Rosie), Thomas (son with own 12) and our medical students will not be able to attend a meeting that weekend, so effectively that excludes 3 boats from the event. If I do Burton week, I want my regular crew with me, at least Rosie and I can suffer together, I do not want a scratch rew at a National Championships.
So please could we think it out before booking Weymouth, I for one want to be there.
Simon
3454 Jammy Dodger

paul turner

Greetings Jammy Dodger. I, too, will put head above parapet! Four days seems to work - so does a bank holiday - what about August Bank Holiday 2010? I will now duck! Px :K)

sam293

THANKYOU SIMON!!!!!
I did make this point during burton week, and got a slightly frosty reception from some.
they reacted very negativley, saying theres only a few student boats that couldnt make it etc.
"no big loss" being one of the quotes

but YOUNG PEOPLE ARE THE FUTURE OF THE CLASS.
If you look at dinghy classes, the largest most popular classes are the ones that support students!
If the champs are in may again next year, i for one wont be able to make it either.

Jane Wade

The other side of the argument for having four days in August is it means the normal family week long holiday is broken up - more days need to be taken off work if it sits outside of a Bank Holiday weekend, less accommodation is available for a reduced week than it is earlier in the year, the other summer sailing weeks will suffer reduced attendance (this year they have seen a surge).
We are a diverse fleet with students, young couples, young / middle / older families, empty nesters and pensioners.  We can only try to cater for the majority. Look at the results from the past 10 years - students are the smallest component.
Jane
Crew 3512 

andymck

There was a straw pole done at the AGM. The bottom line is that the entry was up due to a 4 day weekend, over a bank holiday, when nothing else was going on. The August bank holiday does sound good, but there are a lot of other events that have been going on at that time of year. Certainly there would have been a significant absentee list form the top 20 if this had been a week long event in the summer, as shown by a show of hands at the AGM. The time of year has been an issue for many of us for years. As a medical student an then junior doctor this is the first championship I have been to since 1994, as august is a difficult time of year for the profession. I do feel it does need to be swapped round the calendar so the same group of people are not excluded every year, as has happened to me for the last 15. 
The reasons that the champs were such a success this year seem to be
1. 4 day event
2. Only loss of 1 days annual leave
3. No clashes with summer holidays, other events (We had a lot of visitors from other classes)
4. Easily accessible venue
I may have been the culprit of the no big loss quote, and given the massive improvement of numbers, I would stand by that as the small loss of boats was way outweighed by the extra boats that did come. Burton week was becoming a bit of an embarrassment with low turn outs in the summer, and as someone who took some stick from some of my sailing friends for rejoining what was widely regarded as a dying class, I am glad to have the last laugh, but we do need to build on this years success, and find a solution of getting the 16-21 year olds back involved. This has always been an issue, especially with the cost of competitive boats, and I hope the committee can find a way forward. One of the events that used to get a lot of the younger members out was the team racing trophy, I am the only person saddened by its demise?
Fire away
Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

David (Guest)

Small observation, is that Whit Weekend has always traditionally got bumper turnouts, Royal Harwich always got good turnouts and the Inlands at Northampton got good turnouts.  I am intrigued to see if there are higher turnouts at Salcombe and North Norfolk as a result of people having more holiday time for a Family Week, which are also good opportunities for those who were doing exams to let rip ...

Roly Mo

We couldn't be there this year because I'm laid up with an ankle injury, but had it not been for that we'd have been there and the numbers would have therefore increased.  I get 4 weeks leave per year, one of which has to be taken at Christmas.  The new format works brilliantly for us and we will do our utmost to support events held where I can do so and take the absolute minimum of holiday.  Hold it over a week in August and we won't be there.  I think 80 boats speaks volumes, well done for having the guts to make the change and here's to keeping the new format going.

RM

FuzzyDuck

Another factor nobody has raised yet is cost of the 'traditional' week in the South West during the summer holidays
Last year in Teignmouth was my first Nationals since the late 80's and making it a family holiday I did not get much change out of £2K.  Very enjoyable week for Matt and I but the rest of the family thought it would of been nicer for holiday in the sun!
A trip to the South West in future would guarentee my non attendence. I could not justify the cost.
As a person who works for a US firm and only has 3 weeks vacation this years format was spot on. I also believe the camping on site made the post sailing 'debrief' very enjoyable as few people were rushing off to their holiday accomodation.
More of the same please
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

angus

The point I made at the agm was that no date is going to suit everbody. A bank holiday weekend will exclude any family boat from scotland, ok there arn't a lot of them at the moment. I think the four day format is right but it should be moved about from year to year. As for knocking students who cann't  afford the time off. I have heard so many stories form people who have finnished courses about what they could and could not do. Everybody is different and each individual has to make their own prorities, if they get it wrong which plenty do they may not get another chance.
Having said all that I had a really good time despite having to leave my normal crew at home and having to spend 23 1/2 hours on the road.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

sam293

no doubt its been one of the best burton weeks in a long time,
my only other thoughts if we were to hold burton week in may again in 2010, why not have a "youth nationals" in the circuit. lots of classes do this, usually attracting big numbers, even from classes with small student /  young people in.

would anyone be supportive of this? lending boats? etc?
 maybe have a 3/4 day format, with lots of coaching, and guidance to really encourage young people into the class.
i know by far we are not the majority. But it would be great to see a little more support for the future of the class.

Crusader 3244

Folks seem to be clear in their own minds what are the factors that can influence their own ability/desire to attend the nationals. I am no different in this. I do sympathise with students and I do agree that encouraging youth is one dynamic that is important in securing a healthy and competeive standard within the class.
We are all, different, and we all have opinions on this. It might serve a principle of democracy if the membership is polled on this, and that said, out of that may come a clear indication of what may be popular with the membership and what may confer high attendance at an event. But that in itself may not be wholly democratic. The National 12 class is distinguished by the extent of it's inclusivity, largely driven by the policy of offering incentive to maintain and sail older boats, and that it turn appears to be inclusive in a demographic kind of way ( a polite way of saying inclusive to folks of increasing age!). Conversley, the association have the option to discuss if certain policies, though generally good, may be disadvatageous to some, so maybe its' appropriate to alternate formats occasionally?

I'm new, but I gather the commitee made a deliberate choice to depart from the norm and, judged upon certain criteria, that appears to have been worth the effort. Next years event is already booked?? So the event will be in August?? (The question marks are there in case I am mistaken on this.)
We have a dedicated committee. I feel certain they will account for our views. They are volunteers, and I am grateful they have the time to give to the class.
We were there at Thorpe Bay for no more reason than to make up the numbers and have a good time. We did both and the family loved it. Thanks.
Chris, 3244

Dare Barry (Guest)

Not to keen to the reference, " our glorius leaders". However I am sure any comments and thoughts will be noted and after discussion at a committee meeting a collective response can be made.
Dare Barry

Ian Stables

Oh well, here goes.....

Our recent success with the growth of the 12 fleet at Spinnaker has been due in no small part to the influx of youth sailors moving up through Oppies and Toppers into a class visibly catering for the younger club membership. We have several helm and crew partnerships at college or university and a number of school age youngsters regularly crewing for Mum or Dad.

To suggest that taking time out during exam time is not a problem is naive in the extreme and the fact iremains that a large proportion of our 12 fleet were prevented from attending this year's event.

A future championship event held during the summer term will inevitably exclude a large proportion of our number, this may not be the case at other clubs but how many can boast a fleet in excess of 15 Twelves - and growing?

The arguments for avoiding an expensive (both in terms of cash and annual leave) week in August are sound, but in planning future events can we please consider the youngsters amongst our number - they are after all the key to our future success as a class!

Spinnaker 12 Class Captain
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

martin 1262

Having spent a great 4 days at Southend, I agree with Fuzzy on cost. The weekend cost this year about £200, and given I have a non sailing wife, it was an expense both she and myself could cope with. A meeting in summer holidays at a south west holiday destination would mean a choice between family holiday abroad, or sailing. Given the family do like sun, then the sailing would not be an option. I know there will be those who say...ah yes combine the 2, but in al seriousness, having spent a damp week last year in Devon, its never a consideration.
For me Burton week has to be very affordable, easy access, good sea sailing, great organisation, great socials and options to go camping. Southend ticked all these boxes this year, and this format will always get my vote in future years.
And Jane, Yes I think Simon was well off with his comment!

thedodger

Thanks Jane for your email. I have removed the post now.

n12 Bottom Banner