National 12 - find out more...

N3319 Crested Grebe

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 27 Mar 2007, 06:56

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3319 Crested Grebe. Design: Grebe, designed by: Iain McBride in 1989

Giles

This boat features in the current class book, on one of the pages, with Brian Herring at the helm. I acquired her about 5 years ago, and she was regularly sailed at Chipstead and at one or two opens until my crew grew to big and the supply of replacements dried up. The boat seems to be weight sensitive and, as I am 14 stone, a lightweight crew is needed.

I don't know anything about her previous life -  a fellow club member bought her on spec to transfer to me - I bought the hull and transferred the rig I had from 2796 (Abacab) - she has been mildly upgraded since then.

I understand the intention of the design was to create a boat suitable for small lakes and rivers, particularly in light airs ( she is ideally suited for clubs like Chipstead, or Desborough, etc) - she is much narrower than other designs of the late '80's ( a bit like a Firefly modified by Salvador Dali) - however, she is the most manouverable boat I have ever sailed. In light airs she moves when other boats are sticking.

She was built, I believe, by Brian Herring, who owns, or used to own, French Connection. She is beautifully built, ("like a piece of furniture" was one description) and is currently in my shed being slowly restored.

She will never trouble the mainstream designs at Burton Week, or big water windy open meetings, but on her day, on the type of water and in the conditions for which she was designed, she is a joy to sail. She also looks gorgeous - what more could one ask?

When I work outr how to post some photos, I'll do so.

Grebesailor

Picture taken at last

Grebesailor

n12 Bottom Banner