National 12 - find out more...

N2750 Cheshire Cat

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 08 Nov 2007, 05:05

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2750 Cheshire Cat. Design: Cheshire Cat, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1973

Burton Cup winning boat Whitstable 1980, Michael Jackson, crewed by Miss Ann Davey (a.k.a Jinks).

Derek

and still owned by the designer and original owner....unless someone knows otherwise. I think he still has March Hare too.
Derek

H

Now at Burghfield S.C.  Putting together some history - designed and built by Michael Jackson in 1973 who kept her until 1991.  After that she changed hands in 1995, 2000 and 2010.  Winner of the Burton Cup in 1980 with places in 1974 (2nd), 1975 (2nd), 1976 (5th), 1979 (2nd) and 1981 (6th).  Any more history or pictures (especially how she was originally set up) greatly welcomed.

H

Cheshire Cat at Burghfield S.C.

H

H

grazz

Cheshire Cat side plan

grazz

Cheshire Cat at Falmouth

grazz

Cheshire Cat at Desborough

paul turner

I collected “Cheshire Cat” N2750 from Burghfield on Sunday 17th February as another of my restoration projects; the design is not one of my personal favourites having owned N2810 “Pampurred Pussy” back in the 1970s, nor is it a vintage clinker design. However, the boat was clearly a major step forward in N12 design and so deserved saving. Indeed, from comments received, she appears to be rather more important than “Whisper” N2492 who will now have to wait until next year for rebuilding.

The boat is currently with Gerry Ledger for re-decking and I am grateful to Mike Jackson for the photos that Graham has posted above.

There has also been some email correspondence with Mike Jackson, included below with his permission:

01 March 2013 12:09

Paul, I am very pleased the 'Cat' is being restored. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos of the interior to help you. I attach a couple of photos I do have, which may interest you.

Throughout the time I had her, she was painted a darkish royal blue, as you can see from one of the photos. The mast never had spreaders, and, as with all my boats throughout my N12 sailing over nearly 50 years, 1949-1997, the equipment was very simple with very little adjustable.

I never had shroud levers, barber haulers, clew outhaul, etc. In fact I was 2nd on points Burton Week 1974 at Pevensey Bay without being able to adjust the kicking strap during the race! All this was possible because my rig was flexible and self adjusted for the conditions, but no one else ever attempted to copy it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I wish you the very best in your restoration.

Mike.

n12 Bottom Banner