National 12 - find out more...

Bloody Mary

Started by John Meadowcroft, 24 Dec 2008, 12:29

« previous - next »

John Meadowcroft

[face=Times New Roman]The Bloody Mary (Queen Mary SC, nr London) is on 10 January â€" make a weekend of it with the sailing at Ranelagh on the 11th.  Click <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">here[/i] to find the Notice of Race.  You can enter on the day.  [/face]
[face=Times New Roman]Katy and I are planning to do this and Mad Derek plans to be in the UK for it too.[/face]
[face=Times New Roman]The Bloody Mary event in particular often attracts a good fleet of Twelves - who else is coming out to play?b[/face]

andyp

Hi John,
Charlotte and i are thinking of going to the Blody Mary, is it just the one race and if so roughly how long do we get on the water?
We did the Grafham Grand Prix on Sunday and had a great time so fancy a go at this (would have been nice to see a 12 nearer the front of the fleet though)

Antony (Guest)

Andy,
It is one race, but it is a pretty long pusuit race (from memory it is about 2hrs in a 12).  It is good fun but you do sometimes feel like you spend a lot of time avoiding collisions rather than actually racing!  People complain about the chaos given the numbers of entries, but in my recent experience (i did a couple years ago when they had more entries and less organisation) it is really well organised and getting rigged and afloat is easy.  Leaving again is a bit of an art, so do not promise to be anywhere too early on Saturday evening!
Sadly i will not be able to make it this year, but have fun,
Antony

andyp

Thanks for the advice Anthony, we'll give it a go   ;D

grazz

Babel Fish will be there with Graham & Clare (no babysitters available). Obviously I'm disappointed not to be spending two hours in near-zero temperatures ;), but I'll be getting the pizza and mulled wine ready for afterwards.  (Andy, you are very welcome to come and join the post-sailing gathering at our house if it's not too far out of your way.)

Zoe.

Jane Wade

Hi
Kevin and I will be there and obviously looking forward to 2hrs (or hopefully less!) in the cold temperatures. 
Jane 
Crew of 3512

Mikey C (Guest)

For the first time I'm glad to be sailing the Moth in cold weather - at least I'm going to start ages after everyone else and hopefully keep warm!

See you there

Cookie

Jane Wade

But Mikey - think of the value for money we get for our entry fee!  Maybe next year we should compete in a Mirror.
See you all on Saturday.
Jane 

Guest (Guest)

Steve is taking a break from Boat show duties, so he & I will be there.
Happy New Year everyone
Andy

sam293

yea il be there
althogh in a rs200 sorry but no 12 helms would take me sailing

andyp

Any one know how to fit an Ice Breaker to the front of a foolish? :(

Jane Wade

Lay crew on foredeck facing down towards water, head towards bow.  Secure each foot to toe straps.  Insert axe securely into each hand (tie these on to be certain).  Sail sitting a little further back than normal with the jib sheets led aft.
Kevin - I am not prepared to do this for the record.
Looking at Queen Mary weather it is almost tropical there having recorded 20 degrees c a couple of days last week so I don't think there will be any ice.
See you all on Saturday.
Jane
Alpha Male
Crew of 3512

Derek

Whilst the water may be warm, I don't think the air is going to be warm. Mind you there won't be any wind so no great wind chill.
The major up-side to this is that N12s will sail well to the hanidcap - so let's have a good class turnout!
See you there

Derek

Guest (Guest)

Just looked at the Queen Mary website and the current conditions are recorded as calm and 18.9 C !!!!
Looks like we will need to pack the shades then.
See you all tomorrow.
Andy
Crew of 3516 - Dynamite Stick.
PS - Jane - biggest danger of your ice-breaking solution is possibly that it leaves the all the important control lines unattended for the helms to play with. I think like you I will try and stay back behind the mast.

Jane Wade

I think like Abersoch, Queen Mary must have some kind of microclimate.  I will be taking a shorty and some sun cream.
Andy - you are of course right, really don't want the guy at the back too have much to think about, already enough multi-tasking what with tiller and mainsheet bless him.
Jane

n12 Bottom Banner