National 12 - find out more...

N3313 Nutmeg Of Contentment

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 21 May 2008, 04:21

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3313 Nutmeg Of Contentment.   Design: Final Chapter, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1987
Original boat name: Chapter & Verse.

simon moss

I have just taken over N3313:D She is staying in the North and is having a shiney new paint job at the moment, pics when shes finnished.

Simon

icecreamman

Have a quick word with Brian Miatt about the filled holes on the inwales by the thwart. If memory serves me well this was for a spinnaker (do not know if it was asymetric or what) that was being trialled way back in the day. As luck would or would not have it, whoever owned the boat then had the kite up and was sailing merrily along, only to be overtaken by Mike Jackson sailing his Chapter without a kite, or so the story goes. :o

simon moss

Thanks for that, I did ask Brian about the holes when I picked her up and he told me about the spinnaker, I've finnished the boat now but can't work out how to upload the photos, it says the file is to big, any thoughts!!

edwillett

N3313 "Chapter & Verse" was originally owned by Mike Shallow who was Class Chairman 1992-94. With respect to the spinnaker; in 1992 "a group of enthusiasts from Royal Harwich YC decided that Burton Week 1992 would be a good time to see what the reaction was regarding such future developments" said Yachts and Yachting. There is a large colour picture of N3313 rigged with bowsprit and spinnaker in a Yachts and Yachting article on developments in the National Twelve from later in 1992. Nigel Waller developed the idea further with N3344 "Ella" and created a radical rig with two "jibs" - a conventional jib for upwind sailing and an assymetric spinnaker that was used downwind. The spinnaker was furled upwind and the jib furled when sailing downwind in order not to breach the rules. On this rig setup the mainsail area was reduced to a bare minimum with the mast mounted so far back in the hull that the crew moved round the front of the mast when tacking or gybing. An intriguing development!! I have photos if anyone is interested.

simon moss

Thanks for that info, I'd love to see a picture of her from back then with or with out the spinnaker
thanks
Simon.

simon moss

icecreamman

This is obviously a reference to the size of a ladies bottom as it appears to be invisible ! :o

simon moss

Sorry about the last one, there should of been a nice Agean Blue boat bottom but I still cant work out how to make the pic small enough.

simon moss

I think I have figured out how to compress photos!
Had first sail in her at Ripon very pleased with her looking forward to Newcastle next week.:D

simon moss

Some more pics of Nutmeg and her new bottom at YOSC winter sale.

Gavin3G

Hi, I have recently aquired 3313 sails. apparently she was broken up a couple of years ago.
Farewell Nutmeg

Gavin 3G

simon moss

What happened to her ? Tragic she was near perfect when she left me! Lovely well built boat . Any idea where the rest of the parts went I put a new Milanese blade on her and new covers carbs pole etc.:'(

edwillett

Can hardly believe 3313 is no more!!!
Here is the video of her "famous" spinnaker trial at Exmouth in 1992...the RS200 prototype
http://youtu.be/fqOo8cQ2q2Y

edwillett

And here is a video of her finishing 4th in the Burton Cup race that same year 
http://youtu.be/lVA6Bi39g0k

Apologies for quality...clips recovered from a VHS of the same vintage!

n12 Bottom Banner