National 12 - find out more...

Vintage Rudder required

Started by Nick Jones, 27 Jun 2007, 08:39

« previous - next »

Nick Jones

Hi everyone as the new owner of an old 12 ie "1382 Winged Pharoah" I'm in need of a few bits and pieces.My 12 has a fixed rudder that is in one piece not very practical for shallow water launching can anyone supply one with a lifting blade? Also need top and bottom halyard sheaves for a Proctor 'D' mast and can anyone tell me what is the proper arrangement for the mainsheet traveller on such a boat, I have two holes 7" apart in the rear deck these are reinforced with brass ferrules but as the area is only single ply I'm not sure they will be uo to the job. Help please if you are able.

Bob Murrell (Guest)

Hi Nick
There would have been a brass "horse" going through the 2 holes in the aft decking and attached to the transom. If you can see the inside of the transom you may be able to see the screw holes.
Ian Duffill has restored 2 vintage Twelves and has had one of these brass fittings made. His number is in the N12 year book if you want to ring him. I'm sure he will give you more details. If you haven't got a year book you will need to join the NTOA!

If your club is anything like Chipstead there must be lots of old masts lying around - you would find the fittings you need.
Bob Murrell
3435 & 1475

Nick Jones

Thanks Bob for info re brass "horse" I will try to contact Ian, I am not currently a sailing club member so have no access to old masts,thanks again Nick.

GarryR

I am not a Nat 12 sailor but have restored a couple of Merlins of 40's 50's vintage.  On the link below you will see the arrangement of the brass hoop.  It actually lies between the transom and the cross piece and from the stern you can see where there is a bronze countersunk screw which screws into the horse itself.  The cross piec and transom have semicircular grooves cut into them the exact diameter of the horse when they are screwed together.  If you have stern decking all of this will be under the ply.  Hope this helps.

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/gallery/default.asp?folder=gallery/building_and_repairs/restoration_of_252

n12 Bottom Banner