National 12 - find out more...

Leward mark rounding

Started by tedcordall, 23 Oct 2007, 09:45

« previous - next »

tedcordall

Now that Daisy and I are getting the hang of Carbon Copy and are no longer not merely concerned with staying upright, it has become apparent that my leeward mark roundings absolutely suck. Twice on Sunday we passed the Albacore on the run only to lose out at the mark.

The problem that has become apparent (other than more practice!) is how to sheet in quickly with rear sheeting. With a centre main, hand over hand works well as the tiller hand is pulling more or less at right angles to the line of the tiller extension. With the rear main, especially when sitting well forward, I can't see how to sheet in with both hands while still holding the tiller extension.

What do you do?

Jimbo41

Ted,
It might not be correct, but I sheet in  with the hand not holding the tiller, and use the thumb of the tiller hand to trap the sheet, whilst the free hand grabs another length. There's a good example of someone doing it on the N12 promotion DVD, pulling like frantic, rapidly, pull, trap, pull, trap. I think it's the one with the Dandy Warholes' track. "You got a grat car ..Yeah what's wrong with it Today, etc...." Sorry - can't sing! I know it sounds daft, but it works!

Hope that helps,

Jim N3470 and 3130

tedcordall

Thats sort of what I'm doing, but its not as quick as pulling with both hands alternately.

Steer with teeth? Get crew to steer? Tuck tiller extension under arm and steer by rolling the boat? .....or just get quicker at 'pull, trap, pull, trap'.

Might try sheeting off the boom and build my biceps!

Antony

Ted,
This is a good question, and tough to answer while sitting at my desk!  I think that the answer is that most of us lean back and take a very big armful, trap it and do the same again.  We also, probably, begin to sheet in earlier than you might expect unless it is very windy and so use a slightly over sheeted main as well as the leeward heel to help the boat turn without much rudder.

Antony

MikeDay

And - I'm sure you're doing this anyway but worth a reminder - if you have space to control your line, go in wide and come out tight.  That means you'll be as far to windward as possible as you start the beat, and the wider arc gives you a bit more time to sheet in.

Mike D
N3496

n12 Bottom Banner