National 12 - find out more...

Newbie questions ...

Started by rick perkins, 20 Aug 2006, 10:04

« previous - next »

rick perkins

We are 20 stone together but I am hoping to put on a stone - probably won't manage it though ...

We plan to sail perhaps 4 opens and the nationals - that will be it.

Seems choice of design may be driven more by what comes on the market rather than the perfect match on weight.

I spoke to Tom who indicated that the Numinious(sp?) was an evolution on the FF and there wasn't really that much in it ... probably crew skill factor is the most important thing ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Tim L (Guest)

At 20 stone your options are pretty open.  Am I right in thinking you're from Whistable (y&y forum details...)?   Again open water means the options on hull shapes shouldn't be to critical.  My personal impressions from competing against and sailing the various designs over the past few years are as follows (I'll stress the personal and impressions as others may not agree...)

FF - still safest all round boat (though Tom, Stevie S and Ian's experience plus numbers built help the results here).  A bit of a penchant for wanting to accelerate into a death roll on reaches sometimes though chines do help with stability.  Winder boats have very slippy non-slip....

Numinous - great inland or if you're a pincher, maybe less weight tolerant than other designs (easy to dig in the transom).  Less form stability (so more hiking) and very tippy so best if you're used to 12s.  Superquick in light airs, esp on a run.

Paradox - similar to Numinous but better on weight and heavy airs but none for sale at the mo.

Chapter - V quick upwind and marginal surfing/planing.  Carries a heavier crew.  Not so good at turning corners (not a problem on the sea) and flat out planing.  Presumably higher wetted surface due to multiple chines???   Best paint jobs...

BI 1/2 - Chined 14/skiff sections - probably most stable and v good planing/marginal performance.  2 better than 1 in light airs, only point of sail where BI feels weak may be v light airs running and doesn't like to be pinched too much.  

John Meadowcroft

If you are 21 stone + I think that the Chapter is the only way to compete
If you can make 20 stone then I think the Foolish is the best option as it is so versatile.
If you can make 19 stone then the Numinous has to be an option.  I perceive this to be a weight sensitive boat, or maybe it is just trickier when it is windier

These are the three dominant designs at the moment, but Big Issue and Paradox definitely work in a breeze so don't rule out.

Thing to do is get yourself a ride, I am sure that there must be someone local who can give you a taste.

John

MikeDay

Hmmm, why is it that everyone thinks Numinous is a weight sensitive design?  We all know that Graham and Zoe (who don't weigh much) are unbeatable in theirs in light airs, but I think they'd be the same in any other shape because they're very good.  The rest of the current Numinous owning group are all, I'd guess, sailing with more than 20 stone.  Granted, none of us are pulling up trees at Burton Week but we are all doing at least ok and John and Mandy were convincing winners of Salcombe week in 2005.  Anne and I at 20.5 stone are definitely quicker in ours than we were in our Chapter.  I think the jury's still out on this one.

Mike D
N3496

rick perkins

Well what ever the facts are we have just brought Nigels boat (3490).

We are 20 stone at present so we'll see how we do ...

Thanks Nigel for being so helpful and we'll see you all next year.

Hope the breeze is a little less tomorrow so we can try the boat out ... :)
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

DavidW

Welcome to the class Rick and good luck with sailing today - you could get a bit wet!
Cheers

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

rick perkins

Didn't sail - too windy.  :'(

Did spend the whole day playing with the boat and working out what all the strings did.

Sorry Nigel but I have now written on you lovley clean boat - but it's better I know what each bit does ....

Can't wait to get out - will not sail next weekend as I will be sailing the Musto Skiff at the Tide Ride.

When I was bimbling the boat at the club there was loads of interest in the boat ...
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jane Wade

Hmmm...we might be wrong but Dave and I also think that the Numinous is fairly weight sensitive.  We struggled on the marginal reaches at 20 stone.  Thanks for telling us it is a tippy one Tim - just a couple of weeks too late!!!!  Could of course also have been the novice helm but he seemed to be ok at getting it up wind and down the runs.

Jane

n12 Bottom Banner