National 12 - find out more...

New Mainsheet

Started by Mike S (Guest), 11 May 2009, 05:31

« previous - next »

Mike S (Guest)

I need a new mainsheet for BW. Previously used Excel Lite but found this to be not very hardwearing - has worn badly at the split end splice and is deformed into a ratchet block groove shape.
I know the standard response is "phone Tom" but before I do that, what do people use?
Mike S
N3491
PS Its split end so has to have a splicable core. I use Polilite on the EPS and love the feel but dont think that is splicable. Is it?

sink or swim

You do not need the inner core to be spicable. What I do is to pull the cover back about 7" and cut off 6" of core take some 5  or 6mm dyneema for the tale (overlength) and completely strip it, fold it in two and sew and whip, with whipping twine the mainsheet core to the dyneema. Then pull the outer back over and sew through the cover down the 6" and finnish with a nice neat whipping. The tails are of course Dyneema and eyes can easily be spliced with the aid of a splicing needle and also finnished off with a whipping. That's how I have always done it without any problems.
Steven Peters

jeremyf

As my refurb of Grimalkin is starting to gather pace - well at least the sanding is now finished ! I am looking to the refit and trying to plan where bits will go  and what new fittings and cordage I need.
It seems that the 'split tail' mainsheet is regarded as the favourite option by most N12 sailors?

Would that be a correct assumption?
I will be sailing most of the time on a very restricted river so ability to tack regularly without losing boat speed and orientation will be the key to success. I had thought of a Laser II style system with the sheet going from boom/transom/boom/ along the boom/ cockpit floor ratchet / hand as being more practical ?  I am unsure about the 'skiff' type sheet arangement   ( with the sheet exiting the boom from a centre block direct to hand) but this may have some advantages I guess particularly in 'flicking' the main over in light winds.
I would welcome any advice and also some enlightenment on what a 'split tail' arangement looks like and what its advantages are.
Thanks
Jeremy

Lukepiewalker

Centre mainsheets are generall frowned uponst due to a lack of space. For agile well drilled helms and crews this can be dealt with, most other folk stick with rear sheet.

John Meadowcroft

Hi Mike
I use something nice and fluffy with core pulled out and light line sewn in.  I dont really care about stretch in my main sheet.  I get Tom to do it.  I put the higher quality rope on the control lines that I care about stretch on.  The light line that i have on the current boat is splicing rope so that i dont have dodgy knots tying it to the boat - just dodgy splices!
See you at Thorpe Bay

Age (Guest)

Fluffy sheets, gloves and hiking shorts; no longer the lean mean fighting machine we knew as a younger man?  Barman, a half over here for the big man.

n12 Bottom Banner