National 12 - find out more...

vestigial jib

Started by philipcosson, 14 Aug 2006, 11:46

« previous - next »

philipcosson

Hi,

I am steping my mast further forward for sailing single handed with just the main, so I can get in more practice without being dependent on crew availability and patience.

I can get it 4 inches further forward on an aditional mast step without modifying the forard bouancy tank (very fleixible, these space frame designs).

This got me thinking about the possibility of a larger main sail and a vestigial jib. has anyone done this before?

Is it true that you can split the 10.4 sq m sail area between the jib and main however you want? I was thinking of trying a contender rig (11m sq), we could have a burgee for a jib!

Philip
N3253

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

MikeDay

Philip

Nothing that I can see in the rules says you must have a jib.  However:
1. Not sure you'd get a mainsail to work at 8.4sq m within the sail plan.
2. No jib = no slot = dead slow upwind.
3. You do have to have a crew to race.  No jib = bored crew =  bad vibes in boat.

Nigel Waller tried the opposite in Ella Grunge a few years ago - huge jib and small main stepped a long way back.  That didn't work either!

Mike D
N3496

John (N1662) (Guest)

Uffa Fox's originaL drawings for the 12 had an alternative una rig. There is a copy on the  the NI Gypsy page in the Design Guide. (http://www.national12.org/class/vintage/uk3.gif)

John

matt (Guest)

why not mae the jib a self tacker.

n12 Bottom Banner