National 12 - find out more...

Missing in Action - amateur buid by Jim Aldis

Started by THG, 13 Sep 2006, 10:25

« previous - next »

THG

I found a local N12 sailor (Jim Aldis)based at Whitefriars (Cotswold Wtaer Parks) - built a few N12 back in 60s / 70s - anyone know the whereabouts of any of the following;

N2401 Bunyip
N2440 Moomin
N2503 Uncle Stalky
N2556 Minuteman
N2639 Lily Peardrop

Kean

THG

John Murrell (Guest)

Kean,

Stalkey was last seen at Saltash a couple of years ago when Jim's sister Gill still had her. Gill has emergrated to NZ now and I think see sold Stalkey to one of the SSC cadet sailors - someone called Rob if I remember correctly. Suggest you ring SSC and see if the boat is still sailing there.

John

Spellowranger

I cut my dinghy sailing teeth crewing for Jim in the mid 60's at Earlswood Lakes (where the Aldis family lived) and various open meeting venues until our combined teenage bulk became too much for a 12!  Jim built Bunyip (2401) for himself and then built the hull of N2440 Moomin for me.  I finished her off, built the foils and wooden mast, and sailed her for a while until further education interrupted my sailing for a year or two.  Moomin unfortunately eventually fell in to uncaring hands and I understand ended her days rather ingloriously somewhere in the north east in the early 80's.

Uncle Stalky was originally built by Jim for his brother Chris, who had a lot of success in her, often crewed by sister Gill.  She originally had a quite alarmingly flexible wooden spar, but that was probably necessary since Chris was extremely lightweight.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about Jim's later creations.

Cheers
Peter C
N3239

John Meadowcroft

When Gill emigrated to NZ Uncle Stalky emigrated to Henley.  She is due for a rare appearance on the water next weekend at the Henley SC open meeting.  1100 first race, best tea on the planet.  Do come along!

John
(proud owner of N2503 until Gill comes back........)

THG

Thanks for the info - passed it over to Jim.

I'll see if I can get a day pass out to Henley but thie w/e is taking up many existing brownie points.

Kean
THG

Chris M (Guest)

2401 Bunyip is at Phil Scott's yard awaiting redecking.

n12 Bottom Banner