National 12 - find out more...

N12 Register - see what Larks have done

Started by THG, 27 Oct 2006, 01:23

« previous - next »

THG

Not promoting the Lark Class but I do think there's value in having a register / history of our boats a sort of where are they now.  Cherubs have a similar listing too and quite nicely done (interactive).

Grazz - any ideas on how we could web enable the list - you added some smart new training stuff and a dynamic history would be a useful marketing tool in many ways.

Kean

Earlier this year the Lark Class launched the Lark Register to trace all the Larks still in existence. To date this search has proved very fruitful with over 320 registered boats and has helped generated a huge amount of interest in the Lark Class.

One of the many positives to come from the Lark Register has been the increase in activity in the second hand market with a number of older Larks that had not been sailed for some time now having new homes. We still have a long list of potential new Lark owners so this is a perfect time to sell!
THG

grazz

Hi Kean, I think it would be possible to rustle up a simple way to let people add information about the different boats. As a class we're in a pretty good starting position as in the background Kevan Bloor, Michael Brookman and Ken Goddard spend a lot of time keeping track of things. This means that the handbook (last published in 2000) has a good list of every known 12 and current status.

It might be quite interesting to use this as a starting point and let previous and current owners write about their experiences with each boat. As you suggest this might also help us locate the boats we are currently unaware of (particularly relevant in the vintage section).

I'll add it to the list, could be a job for Christmas . . . more coaching tips to come first :)

Happy sailing

PS How's the mast looking?

Graham

Dave Croft

The Cadets have an on-line archive of championship results going back almost to the start of the class. It's interesting to tap in a boat name or number and see what her past record was. This would be useful and interesting to potential owners as well as current owners. The rest of their site isnt'a a patch on this one though!

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Graham has mentioned my name in connection with this and I thought that I should mention what I am up to.
The National Maritime Museum, Cornwall has recently started a National Small Boat Register of ALL types of small boats. I have been steadily supplying data and mini histories on a number of our 'heritage boats' and I will write something on this for the forthcoming Newsletter. To give some examples, I have contributed details on Gipsy, Witch, Westwind, Witchcraft, Impact and even up to Bouncer and Punkarella and so on. This work continues.

Separately, as you know I have been jotting down the number of any Vintage Twelve which happens to be seen or mentioned somewhere, on an annual basis. See the Newsletter for this year's log.

Ken Goddard
Vintage Wing Representative
N.2300 Duodecimal

Dave Croft

Ken, I hope you also have details of N23 "Farandole" - owned by Dave Jupp who is commodore of Keyhaven YC. I believe he is still a member of the association if not I can give you his contact details. Regards, Dave

Ken Goddard (Guest)

David, thanks for the good suggestion of Farandole. I will add that to the list of boats which I am preparing to register.
Ken Goddard

n12 Bottom Banner