National 12 - find out more...

mast rams???????

Started by marcus3292, 14 Jun 2006, 05:39

« previous - next »

marcus3292

hello,

some of you may know me, but when it comes too 12's, im fine with the basic's, but anything more than a jib sheet then i can be snookered, like now,,,

my boat used to have a mast ram, but it now looks like the raking of my mast is done by rope, as there are a load of pulleys under the foredeck just infront of the mast, the rope goes up2 the side deck to cleets, there is no apparant use for all this rope, apart from raking my mast, but i dont know how it connects to the mast, etc,  maybe some of you can shead some light

ta marecus
N3292

Antony (Guest)

Marcus,
The tackle that you describe sounds more likely to be the purchase to operate the lowers (wires from the side deck that go to the mast at about goosneck level).  Some people do think that the lowers give you enough control over the mast bend to manage without a ram, although it has to be said that most people have still got a ram.

I think that you need to ask a local 12 sailor to have a look, this is going to be a tough one to explain in posting!

Congratulations, and welcome to the fleet & class.

Antony

grazz

Hi Marcus, where abouts in the country are you? We can probably find someone local who could cast an eye over your boat. Alernatively if there is a convenient open meeting in the fixtures list you come along and there would be plenty of people to advise.

Final thought, could you take a picture of the set up and post it here (easiest way is probably to add it to the Gallery and copy a link in here). That might help with the advice

Happy 12 sailing

Graham

marcus3292

its alright i will get mr gore,pelling or ledger to have a squint at it,

ta very much
N3292

n12 Bottom Banner