National 12 - find out more...

Sails

Started by Richard, 03 Feb 2008, 07:45

« previous - next »

Richard

I'm thinking about buying some new sails possibly with a slightly larger Jib than the standard 2.2 Sq.m. I was wondering what luff lengths people were using on there jibs and mains.
Thanks
Richard 8)

John Meadowcroft

My certificate dimensions are

Jib 2.225m
Main 6.175m

Main Luff is 5484mm
Main Foot is 2252mm

From memory as a measurer the standard P&B/Alverbank jib luff is 3750mm and the variations around this are pretty small, and tend to be a little longer rather than much shorter.

I think that the real benefits are getting the right seam shaping to go with your mast bend than getting ratios right.  The leading sailmakers definitely get the shape right, and most people choose conservative ratios - these sails are much easier to sell on secondhand!  I am pretty sure that different ratios will work if you properly consult with your sailmaker, but you should be prepared to go the extra mile in the development work and accept that it will be likely to cost more!

For what it is worth I reckon a larger jib is the way to go - good luck.

John

Richard

Thanks John. I have aquired a suit of ulmost unused Ullmans with a luff of 5417,Foot 2260 and the Jib around 2.2. So my plans for a 2.8 jib are on hold for the minute.
PS I like the look of your new boat.....

n12 Bottom Banner