National 12 - find out more...

Hikers

Started by ifoxwell, 11 Apr 2010, 08:59

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Well we had a full on day today... I can see we are going to want a double bottom boat sometime, so much spary and water comes over the front when the chop is up!
Anyway. Hikers
They work great at taking the strain off the thighs but we were having to hike flat out today all around the course and the inwall, if that's the right word, cuts into our calf's.
We're sailing an old baggy and love it I'm just wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to relieve some of the strain.
Cheers
Ian and Hannah

Lukepiewalker

I believe the traditional approach of the solo sailors is to stick a pair of shinpads down the back (Shouldn't contravene 49.1 as i read it). Or full length hikers rather than 3/4 length.

Lukepiewalker

Oh. And I wear the Rooster base layer leggings under my hikers to try and relieve a bit of the rubbing, but if it's the edge rather than rubbing that causes the trouble that's of limited help..
Or I suppose you could add an extension to the inwhale to increase the area. Or attach some pipe lagging to the inwhale...
I'm getting carried away now...;D

ifoxwell

Quote from: 86I believe the traditional approach of the solo sailors is to stick a pair of shinpads down the back (Shouldn't contravene 49.1 as i read it). Or full length hikers rather than 3/4 length.

I've got an old pair of Gill knee pads that I thought I would try but I wasnt holding out much hope. Have you any idea what the solo sailors use?
Cheers
Ian

Jane Wade

I sailed 3216 and seem to remember that had very square decks which cut into the legs.  My solution (and it wasn't great) was to wear a reasonable amount of padding (fleece trousers, drysuit and spray trousers) and to sit out with legs crossed so only one leg at a time was taking most of the weight.  Not really sure why the boat was designed that way and almost every other 12 I have sailed has far more curve on the inwhale making it much more comfortable.

Mike C (Guest)

Quote from: 241I sailed 3216 and seem to remember that had very square decks which cut into the legs.  My solution (and it wasn't great) was to wear a reasonable amount of padding (fleece trousers, drysuit and spray trousers) and to sit out with legs crossed so only one leg at a time was taking most of the weight.  Not really sure why the boat was designed that way and almost every other 12 I have sailed has far more curve on the inwhale making it much more comfortable.

3162 has much nicer sidedecks! They were the same as the Baggy Aardvark which I copied for 3472...

Lukepiewalker

When I say shin pads I should ave clarified as in football shin pads...

n12 Bottom Banner