National 12 - find out more...

Boats for sale page

Started by tedcordall, 15 Feb 2007, 02:21

« previous - next »

tedcordall

The new boats for sale page is excellent. I see that one can 'point' at the column headings. Is  it intended that the data sorts by heading? ie if one clicks on 'price' the data sorts by price (usually toggles high to low/low to high) and on 'sail number' to sort by (obviously) sail number.

If so, the page refreshes on clicking the headings but the data doesn't sort.
If not, well its still a big improvement!

TC

davidgr (Guest)

Great improvement, Annie Apple is now on the list.  Thanks to all.

Will the list be printed out for the Dinghy Show?

David
N3461

THG

Thanks to those that developed it - shows real progressive association which can persuade folks to consider an active supported class.

Well done!

;D  ;D

Kean
THG

martin 1262

Looks great Well done,   and a wanted and bits for sale too!!

Is is worth putting (somewhere) on the quick link on the home page?

martin

grazz

Barry

This site rocks - as I think you young people say.

Barry

THG

The 'sail' sections are done as text fields - so if you do a sort the system thinks 802 is a bigger' number than say 3444 cos 8 is bigger than 3 (first values).

The prices are also loaded like that so it does enable you to put in POA or offers which a truly numeric field would not allow you to do. Anyway its such an improvement this small niggle can be ignored.

Grazz - correct me if I'm wrong...

Kean
THG

grazz

Kean, the issue does seem to be the way it sorts. It uses a logical sort rather than a "natural" sort, so as you say 802 is "bigger" than 3500 because it starts with an 8. It should be possible to get it sort correctly. I'll add it to the list

Happy sailing

Grahm

tedcordall

To make the prices sort, could I suggest a secondary price column which contains the text elements of the price ie 'offers', 'ono', etc allowing the sortable price to either be numeric or blank, which should sort as zero.

Richard Pilgrim

Yes, the new 'boats for sale' page might be fantastic, but how unfriendly is the 'Add an Ad' button? I might be missing the point, but I put in my email address and my password and was rejected with 'No user ID.... blah blah'. So I tried the same User Name & pwd that I use to log in to this bit, but was rejected with 'Do not recognise email address....' So, I tried using the 'Forgot Password' option (incidentally, why is this never 'Forgotten Password' which is so much better English?), but this came back with "WARNING! Unrecognized email address (or something), therefore no password has been sent." Yet this is the email address I have used for years, and one that has been used on this site before.

So, I'm either doing something wrong or this feature is about as friendly as a red-eared turtle, and access to it about as easy as getting into Fort Knox.

Richard
N3445

James Taylor

Richard
You need to register as this is a new part of the Website. You can still use the same name and even password.
 ;D

Cheers
James
N3402
N3304 Up For Sale

grazz

Hi Richard, As James says, the For Sale list is a different piece of software to the discussion board. You need to register first, there is a form at http://www.national12.org/for_sale.shtml then you can sign in and create adverts, set up alerts add items wanted etc

The software is free and written by a nice bunch of guys from Norway so I think we need to give them a break for their use of English. It's certainly better than mine

Happy sailing

Graham

Richard Pilgrim

Thanks for that lads - I guessed it might be something I was doing wrong. As it happens, I speak a bit of Norwegian and I won't hear a word against the lovely Norwegians, but you see this 'Forgot Password' everywhere - it's an Americanism, of course.

Richard

icecreamman

Well said Mr Pilgrim the sooner we get all these Americanisms out of our language the better, I mean would you trust anyone who cannot spell colour/harbour and continually mispronounce schedule?

;D

Jimbo41

n12 Bottom Banner