National 12 - find out more...

Mast woes - tie the thing down!

Started by Rozzer, 25 Mar 2008, 06:57

« previous - next »

Rozzer

Hi All,
I hope all your 12s weathered the gales over Easter. Unfortunately my 12, N2962, suffered some damage.
A freak gust broke the lashings and the boat "flew" 10 feet and landed awkwardly, resulting in a broken
mast just above the gooseneck, gunwale gravel rash and the pointy front bit snapped below the bow stem.
So it looks a bit like a Mirror dinghy, but not that  much.
My questions to the learned panel are:
Can a mast be found to replace the broken one? A new Selden etc mast costs loads, I was thinking of a
second hand one, possibly from another dinghy class which can be fettled to fit.
As it most certainly will be an insurance write-off, is it best to give it a Viking Burial and buy
another 12?  The damage at the front seems fairly straightforward to fix, it needs some TLC anyway so
the repairs will be done at the same time as everything else.

Hopefully some kind soul can advise.

Yours
Tim Rostron

ken goddard

Tim,
I have a Proctor mast, of 'C' or Alpha section, ex N2810 I think, in excellent condition, although I'm not sure about the halyards. I think it should be suitable, for £40, come and collect. Its on the mast racks at Trent Valley S.C., Long Eaton, Derbyshire. Please call 01332 521168 if interested.
Regards
Ken Goddard 

MikeDay

Without seeing the damage, it's hard to say, but there's almost nothing that can't be repaired on a wooden Twelve.  And there are various builders/repairers around who would do a good job.  If you were insured, then get a quote for a repair plus the cost of a replacement mast and see where that leaves you.  As the offer from Ken suggests, there are metal masts out there at very reasonable prices.  It's always a shame to destroy a Twelve unless it's really beyond repair.
Mike D
N3496

tedcordall

Where are you? I too have a suitable tin mast ex 3459 in my garage near Chichester on the South Coast. Buy me a beer and take it away!

Rozzer

Quote from: 423Tim,
I have a Proctor mast, of 'C' or Alpha section, ex N2810 I think, in excellent condition, although I'm not sure about the halyards. I think it should be suitable, for £40, come and collect. Its on the mast racks at Trent Valley S.C., Long Eaton, Derbyshire. Please call 01332 521168 if interested.
Regards
Ken Goddard

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the offer - I'll ring you tonight to get some more details.
Cheers
Tim

Rozzer

Quote from: 23Where are you? I too have a suitable tin mast ex 3459 in my garage near Chichester on the South Coast. Buy me a beer and take it away!

Hi TC,
That sounds like a deal and a half! Just one beer?
I'm in Oxfordshire and a trip to the seaside would be nice.
Where's my bucket and spade....
If you could e-mail me with your contact details, that would be great,
Thanks
Tim

Rozzer

Quote from: 1Without seeing the damage, it's hard to say, but there's almost nothing that can't be repaired on a wooden Twelve.  And there are various builders/repairers around who would do a good job.  If you were insured, then get a quote for a repair plus the cost of a replacement mast and see where that leaves you.  As the offer from Ken suggests, there are metal masts out there at very reasonable prices.  It's always a shame to destroy a Twelve unless it's really beyond repair.
Mike D
N3496

Hi Mike D,
Thanks for your reply. Pre- and post-storm damage can be viewed here:
http://neelix.molbiol.ox.ac.uk:8080/userweb/trostron/N2962site/
As you rightly say, used masts seem to be at reasonable prices round this neck of the woods.
I do intend to repair Soggy Moggy, space-time continuum constraints allowing.
Where do you find good boat repairers in Oxfordshire - I've searched t'interweb and come up with a few names such as

http://www.boatsandrestoration.co.uk/   run by Steve Townsend in Reading, which is quite near me and Brett Dingwall, a general boat repairer in St Albans, Herts.
Advice on home repair is always useful too.
Cheers
Tim

THG

Tim,

There's a local boat repairer in our village (west of swindon) - doesn't advertise but does work for others such as Lynall boats.  Mainly does up older wood boats and very reasonable if its not an insurance job.
Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Kean
THG

Rozzer

Hi Kean,
Thanks for the info. Do you have contact details? Insurance people are asking for quotes for the repairs, so a visit at least may be in order with N2962.
Hope you are well, do you still go to South Cerney?

Hope to see you soon
Tim

THG

Tim,
Yes - still at SCSC but not done any sailing for a while....
Rupert Whelan is the guys name - rupert.whelan"at"btinternet.com is his email - can't find a number as I usually see him at the school playground!!  Will get it sorted must be 77xxxx.

THG

n12 Bottom Banner