National 12 - find out more...

N2604 Aftermath

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Mar 2007, 05:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2604 Aftermath.   Design: Aftermath, designed by: David Mathews in 1972
Boat Beyond Repair - 1997

ken goddard

More needs to be said about this boat. As noted, it was designed by David Mathews, a professional Engineer and member of Trent Valley Sailing Club. This boat performed very well and one year in the early seventies, won Salcombe Week. This astounded the regular Twelve visitors. What they didn't know was that David was born and bred in Kingsbridge and knew every creek etc., and where the wind could be found, or not.
"Aftermath" was spotted by this author in a small boatyard on the Trent & Mersey Canal, within the city of Nottingham, near Lenton. She was in poor condition woth all fittings removed and with a football-size hole in the stern quarter, in around 1997, as quoted. It was probably about to bebroken up.       
Ken Goddard, N.2300                        

JohnMurrell

Ken,

I would take issue with David having actually won Salcombe YC Regatta Week. I took all the names off the Lambury Points Trophy in August last year and neither David nor Aftermath's name is on the list. There are two years '77 and '79 when the victors couldn't be bothered to get the trophy engraved but I don't think that its one of those two?

For the full list of the Week's victors follow this link - http://www.salcombeyc.org.uk/res/user/495_national-12-winners-overall.xls

Could it have been the Salcombe Town Regatta that he won?

Dougald Weir (Guest)

John,
If memory serves me correctly (I was only quite young at the time!) he didn't win the overall Salcombe weekas you say. However, Ken is right that he did show blistering speed during the week to notch up 4 firsts. I have a feeling that his overall position was hampered by 2 disqualifications.  Perhaps someone else can confirm. As for the year I think it was 1972 or 73 - a long, long time ago!
Dougald Weir

n12 Bottom Banner