National 12 - find out more...

Training Day Spinnaker Club September 15 2007!!

Started by jammy dodger, 28 Aug 2007, 11:12

« previous - next »

jammy dodger

THG

Simon, thanks for organising this.  I can really only do one day over the weekend.  When do you need to get final numbers by, as weather forecast will also be a factor??

THG
THG

Phil Brown

There will be plenty of opportunity for you to practice the things you want to practice in a familiar format of briefing/discussion, on the water session, video debrief etc

Please let us know asap if you are coming, no prob if you are not quite sure yet, but we would like an indication  of numbers and if they warrant it, we will split the fleet into groups.

See the link for directions

www.spinnakerclub.co.uk

Start time for the first briefing is 10:30. Please be rigged and ready to sail by then to make a prompt start.

Spinnaker is reasonably sheltered so adverse weather should not be an issue

Look forward to seeing you!  

<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Alex

Alex &amp; Josh

N3419 &nbsp; Gladys

Alex D

Sorry. We won't be able to make it. It's the Chew Valley 40th Anniversary event that day.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

jammy dodger

Hi folks, unless we get a little more positive response on the training day at Spinnaker, I see little point in dragging Graham and Zoe down. We thought it would be an attractive proposition to many of you, especially with our own Phil Brown there. Phil is a top class coach with a couple of World Championships up his sleeve!
Everyone says they want training days, we are providing just that at a good venue (Spinnaker is a RYA Champion Club) and top class coaching. So why are we getting no response...
We'll see how things are going and review the position next week.
Simon

Antony

Simon,
I would not assume that everybody that sails a 12 in the South of England looks at this site.  To get more people might require more work, whether it should or not is another debate.  If, between you, you can contact people around the other clubs that there are 12s by phone you are much more likely to get a response and a good gauge of numbers.  

You also need to bear in mind that there is an Open meeting at Up River SC in Essex that day, and a Gill event the following day.

Good luck,

Antony

tedcordall

I'm quite keen to come but can't commit to it as I have wife ,children and crew issues which need to be worked around! Put me down as a maybe!

Jeremy C

we're keen to come down for the training but what time do we need to be there for &rigged etc?
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

jammy dodger

[quote by=Jeremy_C link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1188339137,s=8 date=1188898128]we're keen to come down for the training but what time do we need to be there for &rigged etc?[/quote]

If you could aim to arrive by 0930hrs or so we'll have the kettle on

Ian and Alex (Guest)

Whilst it is great that a training day is being held, we are extremely disappointed that it is being held on the same day as the Up River Open, particularly given the fact that that there are very few open meetings on Saturdays at this time of year. Turnouts for opens are low enough as it is without pointless clashes like this.

Up River is experiencing a revival of interest in 12 sailing and it would have been great to have the National Champions there (as well as our home grown Burton Cup winners!). Even given this clash we are currently looking at 20+ boats.

The whole idea of having Up River and Thorpe Bay on the same weekend was to create a weekend of mixed sailing venues with minimal driving and a great Saturday night social.

Rant over!!

Ian and Alex
Tabitha 3441

tedcordall

I've sorted my life out and Daisy and I will be there next saturday. Should the training day get binned for any reason could you post it here please. See you all then.

Phil Brown

Ian & Alex

The objective of the coaching day was primarily to give Spinnaker 12s an opportunity to practice under, hopefully, a watchful eye and some local expertise. At the same time, the club has kindly allowed us to open up the day to non members for something for which there is clearly a demand .

Spinnaker is a very well used sailing resource.  The calender at this time of year is exceptionally full with team racing and open meetings taking up the majority of Saturdays to the end of the season. The alternatives were to hold a coaching day now, at the end of October, in the middle of November or not at all.

I'm afraid I took the decision to hold it now to allow some practice before the end of the season and all the N12 meetings between now and then in what looks like is going to be reasonable weather. I did take in to consideration the N12 calender and, of the available Saturdays, I had hoped I had chosen a day that had the least possible local clashes.

My sincere apologies to Up River if they consider their turnout might be affected. To me, anyone based around London and points east has an excellent opportunity to, as you say, have a weekend of  mixed sailing venues with minimal driving and if I lived up there it would be my first choice.

There we are, reply to rant over.

At the end of the day, it's about getting as many people as possible out there, in N12s and enjoying it. I hope the clash, unfortunate that it is, will not be a pointless one.

For those coming to Spinnaker, we look forward to seeing you and to those going to Up River and Thorpe Bay, have a great time.

Cheers
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

n12 Bottom Banner