National 12 - find out more...

norfolk week trouble

Started by marcus3292, 23 Jul 2006, 03:36

« previous - next »

marcus3292

norfolk week,

i heard down the yacht club 2day that a n12 and a phantom were lost, dunno if that was true, but there was trouble....

look

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/5207470.stm
N3292

Fran G (Guest)

I spoke to Alex Gore today, everyone is fine.  SOme 12s were ashore before the tornado hit!? The 12s that were abandoned have been recovered with minimal damage.  One broken mast while upright - Stuart Miatt's.  Gerry and Liz are famous having been on the telly and everyone is cheerful.

Fran

Roly Mo

I wondered how Ian Purkis knew I'd broken my mast!!

Great weekend at Hunstanton, with a super 12 fleet.  Hot and sunny (for most of the time) so lots of ice-creams tested, and beer drunk.  Sea like a bath so lots of swimming for the support crews! :)

The 'tornado' which ripped through the whole fleet during the second race on Saturday was something to behold, and Jennie managed to get a couple of pics which we'll send to Graham to see if he can do something techy with them and provide a link.  We Pie Boys would like to point out that our pie eating habits provided us with monstrous speed in the windy stuff, so much so that we powered through the fleet and would have had a first if the race officer hadn't abandoned!!  The mast snapped as we bore off to return to the shore,  :( and Roly Mo is now going to see Uncle Tom for some tlc.  Noble Marine are quite the most amazing and best insurance company to deal with.  

Someone did say 'what happens if Ian Gore doesn't win a race at Norfolk' and Ice Cream Man and I pondered this long and hard over wine on Saturday night concluding that he perhaps has supernatural powers! However Paul Pellings mast didn't break when he won yesterday so after more wine last night we decided that that disproved that theory.   :-/

Amazingly it seems that the damage across the fleet was minimal - but quite awesome to have air sea rescue, inshore and big lifeboat plus RNLI Hovercraft all out helping get the fleet back to shore.  HSC and Adrian and Janet deserve a big pat on the back for the calm way in which they dealt with the crisis.  Slightly smaller fleet yesterday due to boat fixing etc, but lots more sun and ice-creams to compensate. :)

Roly Mo (and the Ice Cream Man)

marcus3292

well i glad everyone is safe and well, spoke to tim harris earlyer and  i believe there were quite a few pairs of pant that needed to be changed after that episode,

definatly gonna go next year, i am told it is fun and eventful, and it sounds like they are not wrong!!!

marcus 3292

N3292

Guest (Guest)

Bouyancy test done this weekend.

Looking forward to less exitement than Hunstanton when we turn up for Wells onwards on Thurday (arriving Wednesday pm)

Barry
N3364

grazz

DavidW

David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

marcus3292

oh my lord, people who managed to stay upright must have had there pants on the outside.,  coz it look a bit windy
N3292

James Taylor

Its the fact that some of the boats in the background look like they are hardly heeling and the poor guys/girls in the RS, looks like that was a fairly big splash ooooooooohhhhh :o :o :o :o
Glad everybody was ok

James & Emma
3304 & 3402

Jimbo41

Looks a bit like the "before and after photos" of the needlespar mast peeling like a banana in one of the pages of the Handbook. Can't remember the name of the boat, but apparently the next door boat was showered with rivets "ping, ping, ping..." :o :o

I hope everyone is ok. now...... :B :B :B

Freak wirlwinds like these are "common" on the North Sea and sometimes inland in places like Lincolnshire. As a baby I was lifted about 50 yards in our backyard in Spilsby Lincs. and deposited "gently" over the garden fence, still inside my carry cot and in the mini, which my mum had just vacated..... And before you lot all start saying that explains it all...... :P :P :P :P

Jim N3130 safe in Munich  8) 8) 8) 8)

hairy dog

looks like the 12's are enjoying themselves with carnage all around!

I bet Pearl and Dean in the Miracle had fun! :o
get a Mungral up ya! :o

Richard Pilgrim

By "Pearl and Dean" I presume you're referring to my dear mates Dave & Jackie Hudson who, unlike some of us younger wimps who had to be rescued, merely beached their Miracle, waited for the storm to subside, then sailed back under their own steam (excuse the oxymoron) when the wind had died down slightly. Bravo! We. on the other hand, had to take doen the main under water because we just kept getting flattened otherwise, then bring up the boat and weakly ask for a tow back to shore, bleeding and bruised.

Congratulations to everyone at Hunstanton and that includes all those catching us on the beach.

What fun we had!

Richard Pilgrim

THG

Hey - don't knock the oldies - my MUM has just got an RS Vareo and she's 70+ !!  Imagine having your Mum fly past on a schreeming reach one day!!!

Kean
THG

Roly Mo

The sight of the Hudsons calmly sailing back in with the spinny up was quite something to behold!

Don't forget to look at the Overy Staithe webcam at about 7pm tonight - should be able to see the fleet setting off for the Jenny Lee Trophy.

Happy sailing

Roly Mo and Co

Roly Mo

n12 Bottom Banner