National 12 - find out more...

N1664 Squid

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:16

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1664 Squid. Design: Squid, designed by: Richard Roscoe in 1959

YW Silver National Points Trophy winning boat, Torquay 1960, Richard Roscoe

chris Barlow (Guest)

March 2013, Richard Roscoe, approached the CVRDA looking to pass on this boat. It is still in very good condition and all original. He told me that he had built it in a bedroom and they had to remove a window and lower it down! At some point it was owned by someone who went to Australia and he was recently given the back. It has led a sheltered life and sounds as if it has spent most of it life indoors.

His original drawings have stayed with the boat and a Yatching World 1960 copy show an article describing the 1960 nationals when he won the silver points trophy and the Borough of Scarborough Trophy. The cutting has a picture of this boat too.

edwillett

Pictures taken by Chris. Looks like Squid has found a new home with Paul Turner which is great news indeed.

edwillett

a couple more pics from Chris

paul turner

I will be collecting Squid from Chris Barlow's garden on Saturday 6th April - he has created a photo gallery:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/slideshow?album_id=1811775927

grazz

As you will see from the above posting I was to collect Squid from Chris’ garden (at Richard Roscoe’s request on the understanding that it was to go into the “Turner Collection”), and I did indeed travel down from Derby to Frome with trailer â€" 325 miles and 6+ hours driving!

Chris was away so I was ably assisted in loading up by his friend Roger Devereux; Squid arrived back safely at Breaston that day and I started reviewing what work needed to be done and had some repairs to the sails sorted out by HD Sails.

I then received a telephone call at my office on my private line; the only person who has that number is the Old Dragon so I replied with my usual greeting “What do you want?” The caller was actually Joanna Dean. Oops - Pam should have given her the office main number! The conversation therefore did not start well!

After several phones calls and emails including several from Jonathan Lessor (Joanna’s brother in New Zealand) it was clear that there had been a major misunderstanding along the way. Richard Roscoe thought Squid had been given back to him as he had been looking after her for several years whereas in fact the ownership, as confirmed by the N12 Hon Certification Officer Kevan Bloor, was still with Jonathan.

The upshot was that John & Joanna Dean most generously paid all my expenses and costs and Squid was collected from the farm on 12th July 2013 and is now back safely with them in Poole, Dorset.

Paul

Subsequent email from Jonathan Lessor to me:

Squid's is presently under the care of Joanna and John at Sandbanks, Poole but may well pass to their immediate family nearby in Dorset.

As to her history; In late 1960 or perhaps early 1961 I decided to attempt to build myself a 'Squid' but had only completed a boom when fortunately Richard offered to sell me the original. There was some superficial damage to the hull, where she had been blown over onto the cinders of the dinghy area at Parkestone Yacht Club, so I revarnished the hull with 2 pot polyurethane and the decks with 1 pot. I also removed some traveller control gear but cannot remember any other alterations. I raced her for some years in the PYC and occasionally other local club events and cruised extensively to all corners of Poole Harbour and Studland Bay. My notable success was a 3rd place in the Scarborough Cup of 1961 at Plymouth in a fleet of 206 boats.

On moving to New Zealand (which is as far from Australia as Turkey is from England) in 1968 Squid was housed in my Mother's basement garage in Sandbanks. She was used very rarely. In 1988, on the death of my Mother, Squid's care was taken over by Joanna and John with whom it has remained with the exception of two fairly short periods when Richard Roscoe found space for her at times when J & J were building a new home. I believe she was sailed a little by J & J's family and also Richard. It was on the second of these occasions that the misunderstanding as to ownership must have occured; the result of which you know.

Jonathan

n12 Bottom Banner