National 12 - find out more...

N3031 Kablooie Too

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 29 Mar 2007, 10:24

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3031 Kablooie Too. Design: Pipedream, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1976
Original boat name: Pastiche.

hairy dog

3031 was my first N12 (in fact my first dinghy) and she made me smile when ever I sailed her (even when capsizing, sinking, coming last and generally being peed off I always wanted to sail her again).

I bought 'Pastiche' as she was originally called from ? at Bristol Corinthian and took her back to Yorkshire which turned out to be where she was built.  I was fortunate enough to meet Donald Acklam her builder at Yeadon. I have the plans Donald worked to and a long term vision to start an Australian fleet :o  

Given away free to Mike Cooke when he bought a trailer from me when I emigrated to Australia.  
get a Mungral up ya! :o

hairy dog

get a Mungral up ya! :o

skiptim

I bought "Pastiche" 3031 or "Kablooie Too" from Mike on 04.08.07. She was just a hull with covers and control lines. Since then I have been commisioning her and yesterday she went back onto the water. My first 12, I tried a few others but this one is magic. It had to be a pipedream as I sail at Henley Sailing Club and it seems that the Pipedream is "the" river boat, we shall see.
In the picture she has has borrowed Sails.
If anyone has any other knowledge I would be most grateful, Tim.

gibson

Just happened to see this post while I was browsing the N12 main site. My wife and I bought this boat from Donald Acklam (my wife used to be his crew at Yeadon and I sailed a 12 with someone else before we were married) in about 1982. We sold it about 5 or 6 years later when children prevented regular sailing! Can't for the life of me remember who bought it though. Good to see it's still on the go and providing the enjoyment it always did.

edwillett

For sale on eBay October 2013. Located in Solihull. Ebay ad and pics below.
National 12 3031

This is a Pipedream design national twelve. Probably the quickest design for small inland venues.

The boat comes complete with lightweight launching trolley, top cover, fly away jib stick, foils including a spare centre board, two old suits of Dacron sails that are fine for club racing, Proctor C mast and boom.

The boat has been set up with a simple layout to allow you to keep your head out of the boat.

The boat has been patched and repaired during its life. The boat could be sailed but really needs some tlc. The worst bits:
* On the port deck the inward facing gunnel has started to come away from the deck.
* the front bulkhead needs re-sealing to the hull.
* the port side forward chine has split for approximately 100mm - see photo.
* the hull finish is rough and could do with being striped back and re-finished

n12 Bottom Banner