National 12 - find out more...

Classics & Frensham Pond

Started by nick c, 23 May 2008, 04:33

« previous - next »

nick c

Hi Folks
The annual CVRDA Regatta at Frensham Pond will be held over the weekend of 12th and 13th July - the opportunity for older 12's to strut their stuff ! One race on Saturday - 1440 - and three on Sunday. 3 out of 4 to count, prize giving at 4pm on Sunday. Enrty fee is £10 per boat and dinner on Saturday night is £5 per head.
A great weekend, not to be missed !!
Further details from me, Nick, on 01252 311982.
Be there !
Nick

nick c

Just gotta bring this back to the top of your awareness. With only two weeks to go I hope you are all busy polishing your bottoms.
Any details needed, give me a ring on 01252 311982
Nick

Tim Gatti

A great day for the Vintage 12's who picked up 1st and 4th places in what looked liked being a one-sided competition, with many of the vintage Merlins and Int 14's sporting more carbon bits than a lot of modern 12's!  Wind was changeable (understatement) and often light but the experience and boatspeed of the 12 helms (notably Howard Chadwick and Ian Purkis) won through in the end. 
Great atmosphere and organization at Frensham SC and lovely to see so many old and beaultiful craft doing what they were made for.  A long haul from N Yorks to Farnham for a Sunday sail (couldn't make the one race on the Saturday) and if fuel prices keep rising probably won't be able to do this one next year.  Maybe we can pursuade CVRDA to run more events up north? Tim (stand-in crew for Chadders in Starfish N2266)

nick c

Tim
Thanks for your note. Just one correction. the Intl.14 was not sporting any 'carbon bits', it is absolutley original, except for the sails. Can't answer for the Merlins, though.

Nick C

Jimbo41

Quote from: 154Wind was changeable (understatement) and often light but the experience and boatspeed of the 12 helms (notably Howard Chadwick and Ian Purkis) won through in the end. 
Great atmosphere and organization at Frensham SC and lovely to see so many old and beaultiful craft doing what they were made for.  Tim (stand-in crew for Chadders in Starfish N2266)

Sounds like you had a really good time on the water Tim and from what you were saying on the phone the other day it sounded like my old University motto "Be Still and Know". ;) Keep on ghosting!!!!
Jim N3470, T1293 and N3130 (soon to be Tim's)

GarryR

We had a great time at Frensham getting stuck in holes and the mud off the race box but a wonderful meal and hospitality.   Two of the Merlins sported wooden masts (the original carbon!!) and Chris Barlow in No 6 ISKA sailed - as he always does - with cotton sails.  Secret Water No 111 sailed with her new dacron sails but the rest pretty much original.  Should be back next year from Aberdeen!!!!!! 

Tim Gatti

Hi Nick
Thanks for the correction on the Int 14!  Hope to see some of you again at NBYC Vintage Weekend at Wroxham on 9/10 August.
If the weather is anything like last year - wall to wall sunshine and good breezes, it should be another great event for the oldies but goldies.  Howard will be there with his speedy Starfish and I'm bringing N2255 -a Proctor Mk 12. I'll confess now - she has a carbon jibstick made up from a two-piece landing net handle.  (So anglers can be useful after all.) Cheers. Tim

ken goddard

I also enjoyed my first visit to Frensham Pond, but I don't wish to be carried away by the wild adulation. There were some aspects of the race management about which I was uncomfortable. One particular irritation was the strict adherence to the published start times. With the very light and fickle winds and a lot of boats leaving the shore at the same time, a lot of boats were unable to reach the starting line in time for the start. Race 4 was particularly bad for this, and as far as I could see, a mere handful of boats reached the pin end of the line in time for the start.
I have been to countless open meetings up and down the country, where the Race Officer has delayed the start by a few minutes, to allow about 90 percent of the boats to get into the starting area. This been done either by the RO delaying the starting sequence or, less frequently, by flying the AP signal. Come on folks! When conditions are unhelpful, allow a bit of flexibilty into the staring arrangements!
Ken Goddard, N.2300

nick c

Ken

Many thanks for your comments, all valid. and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Delaying the start for a short while is always an option, but is difficult when the start is one of a sequence, tho' I accept that as it was the last in the sequence it could have happened here. We'll take it on board, and think about a better way for 2009.

Thanks again.

Nick

n12 Bottom Banner