National 12 - find out more...

N3143 Catatonic

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Feb 2007, 01:24

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3143 Catatonic. Design: Tigress, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1980
Previous boat names: Miles Away, Springtime, Rumpleteazer, Betty.

Boat damaged by dinghy park adjacent wall falling during December 2013 storm. 

MattStiles

Catatonic came to me from Desborough, owned by Edward Poet.  
Bought by Matt Stiles in May 2006.  

Hull stripped and repainted winter 06.

She's been club raced regularly, first at Wraysbury, then at Island Barn Reservoir.  Also has travelled to a few opens - especially inland and local ones.  Photo is at South Cerney, which she won overall.

Alistair Edwards

I have bought Catatonic from Matt Stiles and will be sailing her at Twickenham. She is my first National 12.

Prior to going to Desborough, Catatonic was at Twickenham Yacht Club for about 3 years.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Rob.e

I have a pic of her at fed week 28/8/87 when she was still all varnished. looks like Alverbank sails.

Alistair Edwards

Catatonic in action at the excellent Minima Regatta (September 2010)
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Alistair Edwards (Guest)

It is time for Catatonic to move on. I have got the windsurfing bug and consequently the boat is getting used very rarely nowadays. I have had a great 6 years sailing her.
Catatonic has won lots of trophies on the river at Twickenham, and with her previous owner she was first in the 2007 Admiral's Cup. She has proved to be particularly competitive in light winds when sailed single handed.
Adding a partial double floor (thwart to transom) was a good enhancement as she is now very easy to sail after a capsize. Crews appreciate still having the single hull forward of the thwart! The flexy Needlespar mast works surprisingly well with sails designed for carbon fibre masts.
My favourite memory of Catatonic is an early morning sail from Fowey up the Fowey river to Lostwithiel and back.

n12 Bottom Banner