National 12 - find out more...

N2538 Yeah Whatever

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 17 Apr 2007, 06:13

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2538 Yeah Whatever.  Design: Whisper 7, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1970  
Original boat name: Pussy-Galore

Julian

Not sure where the above came from and as I can't remove it - - -
Bought N2538 for a song on Saturday 14th April 2007. She has sat at Waterlands in the Cotswold Water Park for the last two or so years without protection of any kind. :'( The varnish is all shot and the transom is splitting. :B However, the woodwork seems to be sound. I'm now in the throes of a full strip down and revamp. However, I have to say, being fairly new to sailing I am feeling my way very much in the dark. 8) So any help will be gratefully received if not totally understood.
The name has got to go !! In 1977 Pussy-Galore had a totally different meaning to today and my sailing prowess will cause enough smirks without the added guffaws the name will generate. I know you have to use a bottle of Newcastle's finest over the bows if you rename a narrowboat - is it the same for a N12 or is "champers" obligatory?

I'll rig her very simply to start with I think and see how things go but will be interested in any advice, info, plans, drawings, you name it I need it, that can be offered. JULIAN.

JohnMurrell

The names something to do with the moderator! It really is  P u s s y  G a l o r e

Julian

Exactly !!! But every time you type Pussy you get <- that so I'll just have to learn to type p u s s y instead :-) :-)
JULIAN.

The photo - "Poor old Girl" but we'll get there !!!!.

Julian

Rob.e

This boat was at Portchester SC in the early 80's, owned by Mike Exelby who later helped build 3152, and built 3259 and 3262 whilst working for Porter Bros. She was pale blue then.

Julian

The Story So Far.

Having bought N2538 P u s s y Galore, a 1971 Whisper 7 designed by Phil Morrison and built by P R Taylor, in mid April when she was in a desperate state my girlfriend and I have enjoyed a summer, that has seen less sunshine than usual, working to restore her. We have been working on her at Waterlands Activity Centre in the Cotswold Water Park about a mile from South Cerney Sailing Club and, as well as restoring a super boat back to health, have made some excellent friends at the same time. A total stranger (as he was then) gave an old but sound frame tent to us so that we didn't have to continue working outdoors and that tent has been a God send during the wonderful summer that we have endured!!

Despite the fact that she had lain outside with no protection for at least two years when we finally managed to strip off all the old varnish the planking appeared to be sound with very little deterioration. Parts of her structure did need renewing and I have astounded myself with my new found carpentry skills. It must be in the blood as my father was a master carpenter and, although he never managed to teach me anything, a lot of childhood memories have come in useful when working out how to do this or that. One thing I have found is whilst the boat might not have cost much to purchase, the prices of the spares and tools required have, at times, made me go pale! And, I reckon I am now the best equipped chap in the county as far as tools of the trade are concerned.

As always the pundits were correct in telling me that preparation is 90% of the work and once we were able to start applying the varnish everything started to come together very quickly and two coats of stain and 5 coats went on in four weekends. The stain was necessary to cover up some of the black weather marks she had sustained when standing out in the elements. As you can see from the before and after photos P u s s y is now resplendent in her mahogany colouring.

Having finished the interior we set to on the externals. Adjacent to the keel on the port side, in line with the mast step was a very messy fibreglass repair. On investigation this proved to be only about 10% effective in covering a nasty split so it had to come off and marine plastic padding was used to fill and build back up into the shape required. Using this material was, I guess, this has been the only real mistake we have made throughout as was proved later. Lots of rubbing down and four coats of paint and she was resplendent again and back to her former glory.

The centre board had required new rubbing surfaces which proved to be a real problem and working with the formica proved to be a steep learning curve for me. After attempt number 7 I finally managed to cut out the two shapes. In the meantime the board itself had broken in two and there were eight further cracks evident. That was handed over to a real carpenter friend (another one we have made whilst doing this work) who did a splendid job of renovating the board back to its original glory.

Finally the day came when we stepped the mast for the first time since the project had begun and as I tensioned the jib there was an ominous cracking sound which I put down to things settling into their correct position. How wrong can you be?
The following day, having fitted all the controls and having no further excuse to put off the moment she was slipped into the water for my first sail.

Now, I know all that I am about to say will be old hat to your seasoned 12 sailors but I couldn't understand why she kept trying to fall over. I know the rig is a large one for such a small boat but there was no wind ! Surely she couldn't be top heavy? Anyway, in I get and discover that yes she is! And the crew makes all the difference. Having said crew I have to say that my girlfriend had chickened out and I was in the thing on my own. Terrified is a good word to describe my feelings as no wind remember  I found myself stuck to the centreboard casing with the boom doing nothing as far as deciding which side of the boat it wanted to hang over. None of your new fangled composite this boom is all metal and you know when it hits you !!! Eventually yours truly managed to complete a circle and get back from whence I had come but - - - -

Remember the crack we had heard when I tightened up the jib? Water was pouring into the boat from the region of the keel adjacent to the mast step and at such a volume that I reckoned on 15 minutes sailing and any further time on the water would be spent as a submarine !! Yep! You guessed it. The plastic padding had split under the mast pressure and revealed the old injury so she is now out of the water again and yesterday we soaked the area in resin and filled it with a bonding mixture. The mast is still stepped and the jib tensioned to so hopefully the crack will be filled and the problem solved.

Whilst the saga goes on I can now say that this summer has been one of the best I have experienced. You sailing chappies have turned out to be a wonderful bunch who, whilst having a thousand and one ideas on how to solve a problem, are very generous and helpful. The Pendlebury's, who run Waterlands, have put up with us arriving at all hours and taking over part of their site as a boat yard without a word of complaint.

Will we ever sail her competitively? Probably not. I'm too old to learn new tricks easily and still very much a makee-learnee sailor. Add to that the fact that my stomach muscles need a lot of developing before I can festoon the gunwales comfortably in true N12 fashion. (So do the crews but I'm too chicken to tell her that !!!! )

However, if PR Taylor is still around I think he would approve of what we have achieved.

By the way when I joined the N12 association (See Kean? I told I would eventually !!! ) we changed the name. P u s s y Galore is no more very old fashioned name and not one that is really loved by this site moderator so she has become Yeah Whatever !!! This in honour of the previous owners remark when I made what I thought was a ridiculous offer to buy her back in April. It was either that or 'This way up' in anticipation of how my sailing of her will progress !!!

To be continued !!!!

Julian

Just another photo to compare before and after.

n12 Bottom Banner