National 12 - find out more...

Frozen epoxy

Started by chalky, 16 Feb 2010, 08:58

« previous - next »

chalky

Now the weather is a bit warmer I have ventured out to the garage (unheated)to start making floor boards for the old boat. My epoxy resin and pump had solidified into a white lump. The hardener was still liquid and after heating the offending lump it to returned to a clear flowing liquid. Can anyone advise on how the cured epoxy will perform, if it does cure at all? Should I replace the pump and resin before I glue the mast back together?

darebarry

Firstly never use pumps as a measure, they soon get gumed up and do not dispense a true measure. In cold weather I keep resins etc in the airing cupboard, also means resin is at a better temp when you use it. Regards your current batch of resin try a sample on some scrap to see how it works. In cold weather I always use local heat to help it set.
Good luck
Dare Barry N3521 The Ginger Pudding  

jonsue N3469

I work for an  resin company and this is a common problem when resins are stored cold. It is one of the costituents crystallising out. Just warm it up and it will be fine. Even got caught out myself leaving some WEST in the garage over winter.

chalky

Thanks for the advice. The floorboards are now complete & ready to varnish. Interesting observation on pump accuracy. Is weighing the components a better solution? Kitchen scales + epoxy = certain trouble.

JohnMurrell

Yup! Kitchen scales + Epoxy = divorce...................

So I now wrap the scales losely in clingfilm before I venture to the workshop! Seems to have kept the papers from being filed!!!!!!!!!!!!

benb

From personal experience - certainly avoid getting resin on those nice retro scales you were bought by your sister in law as a wedding present!!
Weighing epoxy is much better or syringes are good for smaller quanties - but again they gum up.
Ben

samlaw

[url = http://www.kern-sohn.com/en/shop/catalogue-100.html] There will be cheaper than this [/url]
I am not hinting!

Ed - Grazz can you fix the "Toggle advanced editor" ( may just be within IE 7 Nope Firefox as well (Strike through button does not work either!)). It is really anoying when no longer recognises any text in editor box when off.
N2743<br />

n12 Bottom Banner