National 12 - find out more...

N3503 The Glass Bead Game

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 26 Mar 2007, 04:58

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3503 The Glass Bead Game.   Design: Wild Front Ear, designed by: Paul Oakey in 1993

Construction: Strip planked cedar, wood core, glass sheathed.

Marcus

One of several photos of 3503 taken during her construction. The main innovation in this boat was the integration of the side decks/gunwales and the hull shell such that together they formed one complete monocoque thus saving considerable time in decking.

Marcus

A couple of photos of the finished boat. The buoyancy layout isn't quite double bottomed; it's inspired by that used in 3396 with the addition of buoyancy under the thwart. Nevertheless the boat drains very quickly after a capsize and is comfortable to sit in. The rear view shows that like Numinous and Dead Cat Bounce the hull is round at the back and has no flat sections; was Paul Oakey ahead of his time when he designed Wild Front Ear in 1993? The mast is carbon fibre but the boom like the boat is strip planked; it's about two thirds the weight of an alloy one! 
I've been sailing the boat at the Clyde Cruising Club Dinghy Section, Bardowie on Thursday evenings and Loch Lomond Sailing Club at weekends for the past two seasons. However, it's still unmeasured; why does the class no longer have any measurers living north of Cheshire?

beachedblastit

Many congrats Marcus
That is one seriously beautiful boat. 
Beautiful enough to be up there alongside the best modern Swedish furniture.
Hope you get her measured up soon and have many happy hours sailing.
I am so envious as you can see.
I'd rather be sailing.  

Martin

Lovely boat.  Compared to a "conventional" wooden boat it looks fairly easy to maintain as all the surfaces inside look so easy to get at!  What non slip is used on the floors?

THG

Wow!  What a great looking boat!!  Is this built along similar lines to the Swift Solo Class? http://www.swiftsolo.org/
What is the material cost (approx.) for the complete hull and how long did it take to put together??
THG

Marcus

Some photos of Zoe, my nine year old daughter, and I sailing the boat on Loch Lomond, September 2009 (courtesy John McGruer, LLSC). 
Dad, smile for the camera!

Marcus

Marcus

Dad, why are all those other boats in front of us?

n12 Bottom Banner