National 12 - find out more...

tiller extension -- how long?

Started by MattStiles, 30 Mar 2007, 06:26

« previous - next »

MattStiles

All,
Since I've left half of my tiller extension at the bottom of Burghfield I guess I need a new one.  How long do folk generally go for - about 4ft or so?

Thanks,
Matt

jonsue N3469

Hi Matt, saw your message and constructively, I asked John if he could help you out - his replie was
' it is a very personal thing.' Obviously this gave me a good laugh, but going from the carrying on I have behind me, I figure this must be right, as he has complained they are either 2 inches too long or 2 inches too short! Apparently it is all to do with the complete function of the boat and how you move around the boat - John's at the moment is 4 foot. Hope this helps - Sue  ;)

Lukepiewalker

The last one I bought for a 12 was 4 foot....
Some people don't get on with long extensions though, it depends how you hold it amongst other things...

RogerBrisley

Mine's fixed to the tiller 28 +  inches from the rudder pintles and is 4 ft long.

Can be a bit long but the secret seems to be when tacking (as per RYA Instructions ie pushing the extension out in front of you) torgrasp the extension about half way or so,  sliding your grip down as you go about.  Some times the crew can get aclip round the ear but it keeps them awake!).  but at that length the heavy helm can get comfortably far enough forward to keep the stern out of the water.

Hope this helps

Roger

Alex D

In the past I've used a telescopic one which avoids the issue.  They are usually 70 - 120 cm.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

John Meadowcroft

I find 3 foot 6 too short and 4 foot too long.  I therefore buy a 4 foot one and cut it down to about 3 foot 9.

It needs to be long enough so that you can comfortably sit forward when it is light and helm easily when fully hiked.

Meds.

Grebesailor

I have an adjustable extension, on a sort of twist grip mechanism.

Probably heavier than a piece of carbon, but it works for me.

Giles
N3319

MattStiles

Thanks all, got one now.  After this weekend I think I agree that 4ft is definitely a bit too long.  Still, I'll persevere before resorting to the hacksaw!

Matt

n12 Bottom Banner