National 12 - find out more...

Restoring a sparklet 2123

Started by Paul Bristow (Guest), 31 May 2013, 07:14

« previous - next »

Paul Bristow (Guest)

I am now the proud owner of a Sparklet 2123 and despite the fact that she has spent the last 20 years under cover the hull is in superb condition inside and out no rot or joint separation just needing a strip back to bear wood, epoxy and laquer. The deck however have gone real soft and cracked, the centreboard case has craked and come apart and the sycamore gunnels are stained and despite numerous attempt with oxalic will not come good. So with me heading towards a complete redeck and new CB case now would be the ideal time to look at incorporating some modern ideas maybe. Obviously she will never be state of the art 21st century and I want to maintain the vintage look and feel but just look at adding a few improvements so would really appreciate some thoughts on the following
Centreboard and rudder design, size and centreboard pivot bolt position. I will retain full wood and have no intention of going molded or carbon but as a new case is required it can be build to house whatever we come up with. Currently she has wash boards at the aft of the foredeck with the mast gate behind the washboards. whilst redecking I would add a king plank and mast gate and plan to extend the desks to the aft edge of the mast gate. Any thoughts on mast gate size, position and mast foot position? I have had some reasonable sucess with building ally tube masts for the solo so plan on building one with spreaders for this boat any  thoughts on shroud position and mast bend control would be welcome.  Jib sheeting and main sheeting ideas would be helpfull also. I currently sail a solo so am really used to centre main sheeting but currently she has transom sheeting. I will obvoulsy go and take a look at as many 12's as I can to get some ideas but look forward to hearing your thoughts. I have no rush to complete but am aiming to be up to speed to join in at the nationals next year. Cheers Paul                   

Tim Gatti

Paul - congratulations on taking ownership of your Sparklet - one of the loveliest of the vintage N12 designs.
If you can - I would suggest that you drop into the Inland Vintage Champs at Burton SC at the end of this month. 
Bernard Clark is bringing his well sorted and very successful Sparklet 'Xanthus'. I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you advice on redecking and fitting out your own boat.
There will be a good range of other vintage 12's in attendance for you to look over and plenty of helms and crews to talk to.
I'm sure Jeremy can furnish you with all the details.
Look forward to seeing you there if you can make it.
Best wishes
Tim Gatti
N12 Assocn Vintage Rep

n12 Bottom Banner