National 12 - find out more...

Slot Gasket

Started by steve norbury, 19 May 2007, 12:55

« previous - next »

steve norbury

Can someone give me some advice on what to use to stick on slot gasket?

Nigel Goodhew has been kind enough to lend us his Foolish for BW. Only problem is that its currently towing 3ft of mylar behind it! I've got some new material but what to stick it on with? Sikaflex, Evostik, double sided tape?

Steve

Steve S (Guest)

Steve,
When I fitted mine quite a few years ago I used an adhesive that I bought with the slot gasket, probably labelled slot gasket adhesive. As far as I could see it was a contact adhesive just like Evo-stick. It smelt the same and handled the same. The gaskets are a bit tatty now but have remained attached.
What ever you use make sure that they aren't stuck right to the edge of the opening. Leaving a gap of say 6 to 10mm will allow the gasket to take up a more gradual bend radius as the plate passes through the opening. This is easiest to achieve with a contact adhesive as it stays where you put it when you apply it and make the joint. Other adhesives tend to spread as you make the joint.

Regards,

Steve
N3436

MikeDay

2 other tips - as I'm sure you realise, you really need to clean the old adhesive off - the most troublesome part of the whole process.  Also, I stick a piece of clear tape over the leading edge in front of the plate, to discourage further any possibility of lifting at this point.

Mike D
N3496

Jane Wade

Hi Steve

I have 'observed' Dave do this on a number of occasions so speak as an onlooking expert!!!!  The boat must be really clean and it is worth roughing up the area on the back of the slot gasket material that you will put the contact adhesive onto.  Mask the area that needs to remain unstuck.  If the old one is falling off then the only really good job is a completely new gasket - sticking it back down again will not be a great solution and it will almost certainly come off again 1/2 way through BW.

Jane

rick perkins

I did mine over the winter with Sikaflex ... it's still there ...
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

icecreamman

And most of important of all, do not forget to cut it before you put the boat on the water. Can save a lot of embarrasing moments, but cuts down on the photo opportunities and chance to fill the swear box
 :o

andymck

There is loads about this on the Phantom web pages, but getting a perfectly clean bottom seems to be the most important bit of advice. Having a slight overap is also better than a straight flush cut for reducing amount of water in the case, and stopping the fountain that can occur at the back.

AndyMck
Andy Mck<br />3529

steve norbury

Thanks everyone for the comments. Slot gaskets now successfully applied (I hope!). ;D

n12 Bottom Banner