National 12 - find out more...

Ripon Yarns

Started by angus, 01 Jun 2007, 10:54

« previous - next »

angus

Ow about seeing as there as been so much chatter about dbs and hoe crap old boats ar putting the Camms and tom in ribbed boaaats and letting them fight it out 1 against 1 at Ripon should be a regular rib tickler. I'll put a fiver on the cams (u no u can't beat a twin cam engine).
By the way thats my style of betting they win I give a fiver to charity! ::)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

angus

Could some kind person translate this for me I cann't read wat I've ritten

Jimbo42

Roly Mo

We were pondering on running some match racing in the evening, in Toppers . . .  

In terms of certain people sailing Vintage Boats (and by the way Vintage is still the biggest fleet for Ripon at this stage) we've already seen 'the Twin Camm Engine' making N2 tick at Yeadon last year!

Roly Mo

Jimbo42

DavidW

For the record Jim the committee have never increased the maximum beam. The owners association decided to put he current limit on the beam as National Twelve owners were building them ever wider. There was previously only a minimum beam! The time was 1980 - well before the advent of double bottoms and when many were building in wood.
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Jimbo41

[quote by=David_W link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1180734859,s=5 date=1180906951]For the record Jim the committee have never increased the maximum beam. The owners association decided to put he current limit on the beam as National Twelve owners were building them ever wider. There was previously only a minimum beam! The time was 1980 - well before the advent of double bottoms and when many were building in wood.[/quote]

Ahem, David, if the NTOA decided it, it would have required a committee to formulate the rule, unless it was written down on a scrap of paper at an AGM. But I fear you are missing the point.  Even if it was to stop problems with storage and moving through narrow lanes, gates etc, the fact of the matter is that heavier crew weights are at a disadvantage in a 12.

Jim (On a diet)

icecreamman

There is a dubious rumour circulating in some parts that for extra (or less as less is actually more perversely) points sailing kit from by gone times ought to be worn by anyone sailing a vintage boat. I only know of one person who has a Sou'wester and sails, or more correctly used to sail with it but that ought to be worth minus ten points, Mae West lifejackets must mean that you get a ten minute head start on anyone wheras Dunlop Majester gym shoes are hardly worth anything in my mind. I mean who wants to have freezing cold feet when they are sailing?
Any more ideas to the usual place please

:D

DavidW

Jim

Believe me I am very much aware of the difficulties those of us face who tip the scales comfortably over 90Kg (that's without a crew!). My point was that it was not committee who increased any width. It was the members over the years who had been building ever wider boats. The rule was to written (drafted by the technical sub-committee) for very good reason and voted in by the membership. Take a look at the picture of Mr Jones taken against Gypsy in 1968 (handbook  page 30).
There is no doubt at all in my mind that the boats have become much more fun to sail on a windy reach as result of their beam. My first 12 was number 925 - sailing her was similar to sailing a Firefly (though obviously even then a  bit more rewarding!). To what stage in the development of he class do you think we should revert?

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

angus

Is it true that it is free beer for those sailing vintage boats? Double rations for those in vintage gear.
The only senrences that I can think of that have topper and match in do not contain the word racing. :D

Jimbo42

Roly Mo

As usual the ICM is ahead of the game.  For those who are not aware of it he has, in the past, redefined sartorial elegance in a fetching number knitted by Mrs Old Man of the Sea worn with shorts and a Harris Tweed jacket.  This knitted creation had a feline theme and would be particularly relevant with his current boat and we are currently trying to persuade him to repeat the combination for Ripon.  I am currently looking for a pair of Green Flash tennis shoes and a Reefer jacket -  Mrs RM says I can't wear my striped (very Don Johnson in Miami Vice) jacket with shorts and Miss RM just says we are being plain daft.  I have just found my Pie Boy T-shirt so will be making sure I have that in the kit bag for the evening.

Angus - the late Brian Johnson once famously took part in Topper Match racing at Ripon SC.  At the time we had a number of 'hot shot' young Topper sailors who clearly found it highly amusing that BJ and I were competing against them.  BJ always referred to Toppers as floating ash trays and took great delight in tying one of the 'young bucks' in knots with some sharp manoeuvres on the water, winning the match racing.  It was great fun.

RM

janeysailor12

icecreamman

Trust RM to not quite get things right. It was Doc Fred's Mum who knitted the Henry's Cat jumper, and can I heck as like find it! I suppose I will have to ask her if she will do me a Calvin and Hobbes one now

8)

n12 Bottom Banner