National 12 - find out more...

Remeasurement

Started by tonyelgar, 25 Mar 2009, 09:22

« previous - next »

tonyelgar

I.m Getting towards the end of my (much more extensive than planned!) refit to 3255- a newer set of sails, the centreboard re profiled and paint/cosmetics to the hull, so do I need to completely remeasure since all the weights and sail dimensions are different? If so who is willing and nearest to Weymouth?!!? 

Cheers for the input!

Tony

ex 2760/3255

Antony (Guest)

Tony,
The basic answer is that it sounds like the boat needs to be reweighed and a measurer needs to re-do the rig measurement.  If you did anything substantial to the hull then it might be more complicated, and i guess the new transom (if i have the right boat) theoretically means the length needs checking, but none of this is too complicated or time-consuming.. except (funnily enough) the length!
Personally, and the purists might shoot me later, i would make myself very confident that the boat was not too light overall (unlikely) and that the two sails (main and jib) that you intend to use together have previously been used legally together.  I would not then worry too much about sailing at the club and less serious events in the next few months.  The first time you intend to travel any distance to an event post again and see if one of us who can measure these things will be around to help.
The simple answer to your question about local measurers might, sadly, be Berkshire or Devon (nr Salcombe)!  I am in Central London if you fancy taking the boat on a roadtrip... although i have never tested the garage for weighing i think it would be fine.
Antony

tonyelgar

Thanks Antony,
Salcombe isnt too far, plus I,d like to do one event down there this year, and Berkshire is on the way to my folks house so there seem to be plenty of options. The sails are some 05/06 ones off Babel Fish, although the main has no measurer's signature on it (??). I shall check the boats measurements as best i can to make sure shes up to standard, then as you suggest try and sort it as things progress. I don't suppose any measurers will be at the spinnaker training will there?
Tony  
ex 2760/3255

thedodger

Hi there, I am pretty sure we can have the scales on site, maybe Anthony will rock up and join in....

tonyelgar

That would be cool, alternatively they have a load cell at work, could i do ithe weighing and photo the results? or is that disallowed?!

t
ex 2760/3255

Antony (Guest)

Simon,
I will be in Suffolk with the family that weekend, so sadly we are not able to make Spinnaker.  Anthony might be there.....
Getting the scales down there is a good idea, they can certiainly be at Burghfield if somebody wants to take responsibility for them from there.
Antony
N3514

thedodger

I think if we ask nicely, Ian may be able to bring his scales from work

n12 Bottom Banner