National 12 - find out more...

Main Menu

N3 Swift

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 18 Mar 2007, 05:48

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3 Swift. Design: Barnt Green One Design, designed by: Peter Brett in 1936

ken goddard

Contribution  from Ken Goddard
Swift is the second boat of the series of Barnt Green One Designs which wer absorbed into the National Twelve Class in 1936.
I was made aware that N.3 was still around in spring 2001 and shortly thereafter went to see the boat ina garden at Burntwood, between Lichfield and Cannock.
I found the hull to be in quite appalling condition; two or three planks had become detached from the transom; on both sides of the centreboard case there were metre-length cracks in the planks next to the garboard planks and there were some other problems whiich I can't remember.
The owner, Richard Williams, had made an attempt to stop further weathering by painting the outside of the hull. The only other I seem to recall seeing were the tan-coloured sails. I gathered that all the other equipment, eg mast had been saved.
The boat clearly presents the owner - and us - with problem. "Swift" obviously has a heritage value and might fetch £200-300, but will need a large investment to make it presentable, let alone seaworthy. At the time the boat came to light, I believe that Brian Herring estimated that it would need £700+ to make the hull presentable.
The boat is no longer with Richard Williams, although I think he still owns her, but at a friend house, somewhere nearby. I believe that this friend has talked to Brian in more recent years, about the cost of restoration.
I have no further information about this boat.
Ken Goddard     (e-mail) goddards.peartreehouse@btinternet.com 

grazz

Photo courtesy Ken Goddard

n12 Bottom Banner