National 12 - find out more...

Boat Racking

Started by Roly Mo, 25 Mar 2009, 05:52

« previous - next »

Roly Mo

We are currently investigating how we might increase the capacity of the boat park at Ripon and one of the solutions being considered is to provide racking for Toppers (if any RSC members are reading this please don't panic, it's not for all of them!).  If anyone has any experience of this or can provide pictures of boat racks in action at other clubs we'd be very grateful for the information! :)
RM

Chris Troth

We are also contemplating this system for some of the lasers and picos at OMSC. Too many 12s in the boatpark - thats the problem! If there is any info out there it would be great if it was sent our way too.
Thanks
Chris

Antony (Guest)

simon ballantine

I've just built three Topper racks at Salcombe YC...see the attached drawing.  Total cost was about £300/set and it took me less than a day to make three sets.  All you need is a tape measure, a 9" grinder and a couple of steel cutting discs and an Allen key to fit the Keyclamp fittings.  The dimensions shown on the drawing are minimum dimensions for Toppers.  The height spacing and overall width needs to be increased for anything larger such as a Pico.  The racks I made are for long term winter storage, not day to day use, hence I made them rather high to stack as many boats as possible into a limited space.  The drawing shows No.8 sized tube and fittings (scaffold pole size) I used No. 7 sized tube and fittings and I would recommend going down to No.6 size for better economy, particularly if you build them a little less high.

tonyelgar

We use scafolding at work, with some drain pipe around the supporting sections the boats slide off easier as well, and also works well for picos as long as they are in regular use otherwise you have to watch for the boats weight putting bumps in where you dont want them! Seen heavy duty shelving used - was excellent recycling but not very steady! Castle Cove SC use a similar racking with scaffolding i believe for there laser fleet. Benefit is scaffolding can take into acount un even ground or even slopes so makes use of spaces previously not considered suitable for dinghy storage.

Tony

N3255 (Nearly ready and looking sharp fot the season!)
ex 2760/3255

Chadders

Hi Bern  Yeadon has a 3 Pico rack fastened to the side of a container.  Neil may be able to locate a sketch otherwise I could photograph/measure next time I go up.  System works well and the masts and sails live in the adjoining container with the rescue boat. Howard C aka Chadders

Tim Gatti

Hi - here's the drawing I did for the boat racks that bolt onto the side of our container to hold our Picos (stored horizontally) and Oppies (stored vertically standing on their transoms.) Give me a call if you need any more info. PS If this doesn't work I'll email it to you!!! Tim

n12 Bottom Banner