National 12 - find out more...

Lowers on a Final Chapter

Started by ifoxwell, 20 May 2011, 10:25

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Hi all

Finally bought a more modern boat 3453 Email. A DB Final Chapter

Its not been used for quite some time and i didnt like some of teh controls so I've started be tarting it up the cockpit area and restringing her, but I'm having a problems coming up with a neat and simple way of stringing the lowers.

I'd like to route them out to each side of teh thwart with the kicker?

I cant be the first so does any one have some pics of a working set up that they could post to give me some inspiration.

Thanks
Ian

3162 (soon to be for sale!)

andymck

Are they led through the side decks, or down the front of the mast?

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

ifoxwell

From the side decks and there is nothing that is obviously structural enough on the front bulkhead to make a cascade that runs up and down the back of the mast

Ian

Jeremy C

Our lowers are tensionsed from the side decks on a fall which then also goes up, from each side, the front of the mast and pulls off the underside of the foredeck. three is a 2:1 there which is then attached to a single line which comes back along the C'B case. They're not actually led to the thwart but could be with a little bit of jiggling.
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

ifoxwell

ummm perhaps I could run it up and down the mast. I hadnt considered that as I have been looking at the hull on its own.

Not Ideal (one more thing to disconect and get in a muddle when removing the mast) but an option.

Thanks

Ian

John Meadowcroft

Another question....

What does the mast sit on?  If you can get a large stainless plate - see the P&B catalogue for an example - all fit out becomes a lot easier.

I would go from mast to deck, go thru deck to a block.  (Can't remember if single or double)

Take a second line line from base of mast and pass this thru block  and then back to base of mast.  At base of mast round block and then up to a double block secured to front of mast gate.  Thru this block and tie off to another double block.

Repeat this on other side of boat so that both ends are tied to the same double block.

Route control line forward from thwart to front of mast plate and then up to the double block (where the two sides have been tied off) and back to single block at front of  mast plate.  Take line back up to double block and then route back to thwart matching the other side.

The throw in the system is the distance between floor of boat and the deck.

This worked very well on my Waller chapter and am sure it will work for you.  Cracking purchase by the way!

ifoxwell

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. I have finally come up with a system
that I think will do what i want.... just got to order the blocks to make it
work.

Essentially I am going to run a cascade on each side between the
deck and mast step to handle the bulk of the forces then a 2-1-2 final
connection up and down the front of the mast between the mast foot and the
front of the mast gate to join the two and finally to separate them again for the
feed to each side.

So thanks again, its good to talk these things through.... It’s
one of those things we really miss out on sailing as the only active 12 at the
club and currently being unable to make any of the opens. One day though...

And yes its a good buy. It does need a lot of work but the hull is
so well made I think its worth it.</font>

Cheers

Ian

3453, 3162

Antony (Guest)

Ian,
That is a great boat, I am glad to hear she is back out of the shed, it was only a couple of months ago I was talking to somebody (probably Tom Stewart) about her and how fast Stewart and Jane Hudson made her go at Torquay. 
If you continue this post for the rest of the week then there must be a decent chance that somebody with a digital camera can take some photos this weekend.  There must be at least 3 or 4 of her sisterships coming along...
I have to admit i cannot remember how the lowers were rigged on 3447 when i had her.  I do recall an issue as the space in front of the mast was a bit limited.
The other thing to bear in mind is that you now have a pretty bendy mast!  It takes a little getting used to.
Have fun,
Antony

ifoxwell

Hi Antony.

Yup wish we could be there this weekend... but such is life.

And bendy mast. (Angel) Yes we havent tried it yet but I've heard the stories and its part of the reason that i want to get the lowers working in a way I'm happy with so that i have some control.

Any suggestions on setting up and sailing with these masts? Does it require a different cut of sail or just a different technique?

Cheers

Ian
3453, 3162

Roly Mo

Will try and get some pics of 3447 tomorrow....

n12 Bottom Banner